Chapter 5

Astrid POV

I woke up this morning with nerves. Today's was Hiccups first day as Chief, and I desperately wanted him to do well.
I went down to breakfast to see Hiccup and Valka already down there with Gobber, talking about today and what Hiccup should expect.
"Now, Berk will be respectful that it's your first day as Chief, so hopefully they won't be swarming you too much" Gobber told Hiccup. "I know your father was teaching you - oh Morning Astrid, here's your breakfast," Gobber pushes me a plate of eggs and toast before I sat down next to Valka to listen to Gobber's leture.
Gobber talked for a while before Hicvup was supposed to start.
I kissed him goodbye and Valka gave him a hug and the two of us watched Hiccup and Gobber walk to the great hall.
"So, I guess it's just you and me today?" I state.
"Yep! What should we do?" Valka asked
"Maybe a flight?"
" perfect!!"
We both went to saddle up our dragons and I realised how casual that conversation was, it was like we were already close.
We spent the morning chatting and flying, I told her more about the Edge, as well as answered her questions about my relationship with Hiccup that I had avoided while Snotlout was in the room.
We got back in time for lunch, and we went to see how Hiccup was going.
We arrived at the great hall only to find him surrounded by members of Berk as the came to him with their problems. He tried answering a question while he was doing something else while he was taking advice from Gobber.
It was crazy.
We waved at him and he sent us a thumbs up with another forced smile. I wanted to go over to him, but I didn't want him to have to deal with another thing right now.
We made our way back to our house and as I was collecting something from my room, Valka noticed my bethrothal necklace hanging by my bed.
"Hang on, is this..."
"Oh, When Hiccup and I got bethrothed, Stoick gave that to Hiccup to give to me for him bethrothal gift to me, and yes it is the same necklace Stoick gave you," I finished sitting next to Valka.
"I forgot how gorgeous it was," she said, tracing her fingers over the design. "And I bet it looks even more gorgeous on a girl like you," she then placed it around my neck and smiled at me.
"I would wear it more, it just gets in the way when I'm fighting on Stormfly, and I don't want it to get damaged," I explain.
"Well, How about you wear it today?" Valka suggested.
I nodded and let the necklace hang around my neck as I hoped Hiccup would notice this time.

Valka POV

The next few weeks consisted of the same routine; Hiccup's chiefing duties, Gobber cooking for us and the sound of sobs coming from Hiccup's room each night.
I want to be able to be that mum who can swoop in and say the right thing and calm him down... but I just wasn't.
Instead I lay in bed and listened to Astrid's words of comfort and stared at the empty pillow beside me as silent tears fell down my cheeks.
"Hiccup, it'll be okay," I heard Astrid voice come from the next room.
"No it won't! Dad's gone, Astrid. I'll never have a full childhood family, He'll never meet his grandchildren, he won't be at our wedding..." I felt my heart break slowly as I rolled over and let my eyes fall close spilling the last tears out before I fell into a dreamless sleep.
~~~
Hiccup always seemed to save his sobs for night, as he had no emotion during the day. His face was always serious and he barely said anything.
He walked to the great hall like every other day and as soon as he disappeared from sight, I felt Astrid throw her arms around me.
"What was that for?" I asked, surprised.
"I just figured you needed it," she muttered.
The next few moments were silent before Astrid talked again.
"He really was like a father to me," she begins. "He always kept an eye out for me and understood the warrior in me that others just can't seem to figure out. He was always the loudest one to cheer when I won a game, he would yell 'that's my future daughter in law,' for everyone to hear," at this point Astrid was staring at the ground as a single tear fell down her beautiful face.
I smiled, imagining Stoick boasting about Astrid, I could almost hear his loud cheers and see his eyes filled with pride for the girl his son was to marry.
"I remember this time..." Astrid begins, "The first night I had here, we were eating dinner and Stoick was just talking about how he had always wanted a daughter. Except he said I was better than his daughter because it meant that his son got to fall in love with me," tears were falling fast down her face as she managed to make the words out as a whisper. "That was probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me." Astrid finished as I realised how much Stoicks death had effected her. But she hadn't mourned because she had to be strong for Hiccup. I remember the first time we met, if you count it as meeting, Astrid had run to Hiccup's side after Stoick had been shot, her first instinct was to comfort him, but I remember the terrified look in her eyes as she realised that she would never get to be Stoick's daughter in law.