1 - A New Piece of Technology

Most days at school would be repetitive, a ground hog situation of the good variety, but today is going to be different; I'm going to get a SQUIP. It's final. All I need to do is tell my mum that I'm going shopping and she'll give me enough money to do so. That may sound really spoilt but to be honest my family is very rich. My dad, a retired lawyer who won a massive case for a big company, mixed with my mum working for an extremely secretive technological company from home means money is not a worry for our family. Of course money isn't everything for a family to be perfect but lets not get into that right now. I snap out of my train of thought and start to get ready for school.

I decide to do a more natural make-up look for today, consisting of soft pink lip gloss, subtle eyeliner, mascara and a variety of brown shades for eye shadow, to match my outfit that contained a brown skirt, long sleeve top, long black thigh-high socks,  black heeled boots and some extra accessories of course. My usual abundance of rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Ever since becoming a lot closer with Brooke and Chloe i've made more of an effort to look good for school. Too not dampen their image and also because it feels nice to look confident. 

Once at school I was counting down the minutes till my last lesson, and it was still only 9am. I couldn't take my eyes of the clock. Michael and Jeremy seemed to notice, who for some context, i rekindled our friendship with since drifting a mere amount when i  started to befriend 'the populars'. But in actual fact we've known each other since babies.

"Yo, Y/N you okay you seem off?" Michael asked taking a sip of his Slurpee. 

"Yeah, are you having a staring contest with the clock?" Jeremy added

"Oh" I giggled awkwardly, rubbing the nape of my neck as i think of an excuse... I can't let them know. "I'm going shopping after school and I'm just excited" I lied. I mean technically it wasn't  a lie, it just wasn't the whole truth. Michael gave Jeremy a look raising his eyebrow, but then shrugged his shoulders. I just smiled reassuring them... I'm sure they'll think nothing if it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sped out of school suddenly being stopped by someone gabbing my arm, as a reflex i snatched it back and turned to see who it was.

"Hey, why so fast? Can we come with you?" Jeremy asked. I sighed and nodded. I'll just have to find an excuse to leave.

"Yay!" they both cheered back like children. 

Our journey there was mainly them talking about a game, something called ' Apocalypse of the Damned', i tried to join in their conversation but my mind wouldn't let me. Busy being filled with thoughts about the super computer im about to implant in my brain... Once there i turn to them and say i need to go somewhere quick, reassuring I don't need them to come with me they both nodded and said they'd be in the 7/11. I'm glad it went that smoothly. Smiling, I walked to the shoe shop that Rich told me about. I saw a chubby middle age man with a dark hoodie on, assuming that's who i have to talk to i walk up to him and smile.

"Yes?" He stared at me waiting for a reply

"Um, i heard you can get Squip's from here." He gave me a glance of confusion, looking me up and down and then replied after a small slice of awkward silence.

"Yeah I heard id be expecting someone...but you? You look...normal?" What the fuck did he mean like that?!

"Elaborate" I said trying not to sound angry.

"I mean you don't look like you need one, you don't look like a loser. But a customer is a customer so here take a look."  He opened a shoe box and inside was loads of small grey pills in an oblong shape almost filling it up. Just like Rich had described i thought to myself. I went to reach my hand in and he shut it quickly pulling the box away.

"Uh-Uh-Uh, money first" I looked up at his shadowed stern face and reached into my bag to hand him the amount requested. When I look back up he is concentrating on counting the money and once all adds up he smiled and said "Thank you" With an elongated 'a' sound in the phrase. He reopened the box and told me to pick one. I chose this one in the corner of the box, it was calling out to me somehow. The man then continued to explain to take it with green Mountain Dew and to be careful with the other flavours, what ever that meant.  After he disappeared i decided to

headed to he 7/11 to meet back up with Jeremy and Micheal.

"Hey!" I said to the smiling pair 

"I thought you went to go buy something?" Jeremy asked

"I did!" I replied instantly, then realise i have nothing on me to show for it. "I...They didn't have what i wanted" I lie.

"Well, I'm going to go in and get a drink, kay? Ill be back in a mo." I said quickly after, to change the subject. I walked in and grabbed a Mountain Dew, making sure it was the green flavour, like instructed and quickly swallowed the pill before joining the others again. I waited for something to happen... nothing. Well maybe it takes a while to work and stuff.

 Hoping this wasn't a joke I joined my friends and placed my half empty drink on the table. I couldn't help but notice Jeremy lose his smile when i sat down, he was staring at my drink with a look of deep thought. I tried not to think to much of it as he has been acting like this recently, not sure why though. 

"Hey you okay?" I asked waving in front of his face.

"Um I-I have to go, um I-I'm sorry...bye" He quickly grabbed his bag and sped off. 

"Well that was weird." Michael commented with a frown on his face. I gave a sad smile and reassured him that I'm sure everything is fine. As i took another sip of my drink a shock went down my spine.

"Ow" I said unsure as to what that was. Suddenly hearing a random males voice 

"Target male inaccessible"

"Ugh, what the hell?"

"Y/N? Are you okay?" Michael asked worried.

"Calibration in process. Please excuse some mild discomfort"  

Another shock but this time stronger.

"Mild?!"

"Calibration complete. Access procedure initiated"

Then the pain stopped, oh thank good i thought i was going to die.

"I'm fine, I-I'm okay, I just could do with a--"

"Discomfort level may increase"

Then suddenly pain, a lot of it, more then anyone could be used to. I fell to the ground, everything hurt, my bones, my muscles, my everything. I screamed and cried in pain, i couldn't talk, or hear I could hardly think. Then that voice came back.

"Accessing neural memory. Accessing muscle memory. Access procedure complete. Y/N L/N. Welcome to your Super Quantum Unit Intel Processor... Your SQUIP."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Thought i'd let you know in case you get confused :)))

Squip = Bold

Speaking to Squip in mind = Italics

Speaking out loud/narration = Normal

Thanks for reading! <3