Truce

Amber went back inside the theater and sat on a bench. Her face was turning red as she tried to keep most of her tears in, and her breathing was also harsh. Mara came inside, found Amber, and sat on the same bench.

Mara was thinking whether or not she should rub Amber's back for comfort because Amber didn't even acknowledge her presence at this moment. But Mara just decided to talk without making anymore eye contact with her.

"I'm sorry," Mara apologized. "I didn't mean to say that."

Amber didn't reply or look up.

"I was angry and frustrated at KT. It just came out."

Amber took a deep breath through her nose.

"I didn't know you cried yourself to sleep. It must've been hard for you."

Amber decided to finally speak, but her voice was low and obviously full of sadness. "When I came to the summer house, I realized that if I was staying in the same house as Alfie, I couldn't see myself without him. Since the only reason we weren't dating was because of fashion school, I figured we'd just get back together."

"But you'll be going back to New York after the summer."

"I know. I guess I was thinking we'd have a shot at long-distance. But with someone who really loves him so close, how could he not love Willow?"

"Alfie still loves you, Amber. But some people just can't wait. Time catches up with them, and they realize, they can't be a part of that love story anymore. They have to continue their own with someone else."

"So, your long distance with Mick didn't work out because time caught up with you? Don't you realize I'm in as much pain as you? With Mick here, you're realizing you're still in love with him. And when the end of summer comes, he'll be gone, and I'll have to leave Alfie."

"I see that now."

"Why can't summer love just last and when the end comes, we just forget. It would be so much easier to avoid the pain if you forgot when it was time to."

"The wise words of Amber Millington," Mara smiled.

Amber laughed a bit.

"Does this mean we're ok?"

"Oh, I suppose."

They hugged it out and went back to the car. KT was waiting in the driver's seat still.

"Is everybody ok?" she asked.

Mara and Amber looked at eachother and simultaneously agreed, "Yeah."