I Told You So - J.B.B.

"At least I'm not a walking can opener," Sam mumbled, but both you and Bucky heard it from the couch you were sitting on.

"Sam," you scolded in your motherly voice, or what you hoped was a good one. Sam dismissed it entirely as he walked through the open kitchen and out the big doors to one of the many hallways of Avengers Tower, his dinner in his hand. You take in a big breath and let it out in a heavy sigh of frustration as the door closes behind him, leaving Bucky and you alone. Laying your head back on the top of the sofa cushions, you stare up at the ceiling like a tired mother with a trouble child.

"I'm telling you it's like that man is actually a five year old," you say more to yourself. "He fights the worst of the worst yet he can't be decent and polite. I just--I--I don't get it." You then turn your head to Bucky, without taking your head off the cushion top, staring at him with big e/c eyes. He's already looking at you with a slight frown but when he sees your face he cracks a small smile and jolts minutely, indicating a small, silent chuckle. It fades quickly and he looks away. You wear a sad smile, still looking at him.

Here lately, Sam has been getting onto Bucky for the stupidest things and you just can't wrap your mind around it. You know they don't like each other much but can't Sam just be civil? Apparently not. Poor Bucky just takes the hits. Granted, none of them are really big enough to constitute his retaliation, but they're so constant, you can't believe Bucky hasn't said a word. Of course, you usually jump in for him before he has a chance anyway. After a few snarky comments from Sam, it dawned on you that if you didn't say anything, Bucky might do something. But you've tried to play peacemaker for a while and it's taking it's toll and without much success at stopping the man's snappy little jabs to the super soldier. You thought Sam would have stopped by now but you misjudged his endurance--or, rather, his stubbornness.

"Y/n?"

"Hm," you reply, now looking disinterestedly out the large windowed wall in front of the both of you, allowing the view of the city under dusk.

"Y'know...I appreciate you standing up for me against Sam." You look at him then, sensing he's got something on his mind.

"Yeah, it's no problem," you say, watching him carefully. He looks away from you out the window again.

"But, I can handle it on my own." Bucky looks back to your unchanged face. By the tone in his voice you knew this was coming. Or something along these lines. You stay silent for a second or two, both you just staring at each other. You're feelings aren't hurt but you still don't see how Bucky handling this instead of you will help matters any.

"Are you sure? I mean, I just feel like...y'know you've had to fight so many battles before. And I know Sam is no Hydra and he's just being a bully but I just don't want you to have to fight anymore. And I'm afraid of what you might do if you lose control of yourself."

"That's sweet of you, y/n, but I'm a grown man and I have to fight my own battles. Even the little ones," he says with a faint smile. You give him a half-smile back, unsatisfied with his answer. "I promise you I will control myself. Can you maybe, next time he says something just, not say anything and let me handle it?" he asks seriously with a soft look to him. You give him a pouty/angry look for a brief moment before answering in false indignation.

"Fine." Bucky smiles slightly.

"Thank you--"

"But if I think you're about to lose it, I reserve the right to intervene," you warn him with your index fingers poking his chest. He smiles and nods.

"Ok, I'll give you that." You smile at your small triumph then hunker down further into the corner of the couch, bringing a nearby blanket to cover you. Both of you return to staring out at the lights of the living city. Bucky can do this, you assured yourself. Have a little faith.