Luhng

Mevner woke alone in the forest with no trace of the fire or the gnome. His legs hurt like hell, his feet and hands were still destroyed, but his back was feeling better. He stretched and cracked it so loud he scared a nearby family of rabbits. 

He crawled back to the little stream, rolled in again, and let water pass through his body. Only when his twisted fingers started to prune did he drag himself back out and laid on the sunny bank to dry. 

"Wake up, friend." 

His eyes popped open. Looking up from the ground, the antlers of two large bucks filled his vision. Between the elk were two thick recently cut branches with a series of cross sections forming a kind of sloping ladder. They were strapped to their shoulders and touching the ground behind them. On the top of one of the buck's heads stood Mr. Grimble.

"I-eeh was beg--gin-ing to th-ink I imag-ginned -ya." His tongue was noticeably improved.

"I'm real, alright. Do you think you can climb aboard? This is no place for you to mend. Highwaymen camp in the woods at night, not to mention the lack of shelter. I have the perfect place in mind."

Mevner crawled between the large deer and painfully climbed the ladder. He got his upper body on board and had to stop. 

"Just a little more, then you can rest." 

He forced himself up further pushing off his bent feet and screaming in agony. As soon as he was on, the elks started forward. The back of the sled bounced him across the terrain. His suffering felt relentless. 

"Why don't I finish the story from last night to take your mind off the ride?" 

Mevner nodded with an ill grimace. 

"As I was saying, the seven of us basically fist-to-cuffed our way through the burned out old town that is now Verina Luki. At the time only the stone structures survived, most with roofs torn off, and full of charred remains. The population laid to waste by Luhng. Only bandits, criminals, and the shady merchants that served the local pirates remained. 

"We approached at dusk taking de Martín's shortcut."

Grimble paused. He was riding in a canvas hammock hung between the buck's antlers. Beside him was tied his pack and Melock's remains. He looked down at his uncomfortable new friend.

"We're taking the long way, I'm afraid, but it'll mean a smoother ride soon enough." 

It wasn't too far to go. Grimble continued. 

"So, de Martín was right at home. He'd duck into seedy bars and bring us back bottles of beer and venison sandwiches. He led us down rubble filled alleys and tried to keep us away from the populations as much as possible. But when we hit the center of town a couple of bruisers started in with Sister Murphy. She broke the first one's arm and when she sent the second to his maker, the whole place exploded. 

"Between her and the Anvil Brothers, hard-headed blokes were always trying to take us on. And as you might imagine, Sister Murphy and the Anvils were taking on all comers. 

"They had beaten half the town into submission before Melock turned the place to darkness. Øregård and I could see in the dark and we led the party out of the city to the docks. Melock and de Martín arranged for a small fishing boat to take us out to the island. 

"Have you ever been?"

Mevner shook his head no.

"The ruins are quite beautiful. 

"Anyway, it was a calm night at sea and we were dropped on a beach on the far side of the island. We trecked overland to a series of ocean vents that de Martín assured us met up with the main passages to the vault. Luhng's guards mostly stayed near the entrance to the cave systems at an ancient embattlement. 

"The fortified gate looked over the island's port where several bands of pirates paid homage to Luhng for the use of his island as a jumping off point. They looted the entire coast but everything of real value ended up in Luhng's private stash. Dragons love treasure, you know.

"When we had no choice but to enter the main tunnel system, the caverns changed from lava hollowed organic caves to slick brick reinforced archways. The black lava rocks were polished to perfection. It was a site to see and surely the path to Luhng would be paved in black.

"Øregård put me and my pack down and I fired up my metal soldier. Think a walking suit of armor wielding an ax. I rode in the helmet and a magical fire provided steam locomotion. I was slower than the other's so I brought up the rear. My mechanical soldier was about a yard and a foot tall so I was still the smallest in the group."

Grimble smiled down at Mevner. They were moving through grass and the ride was less bumpy. 

"Unfortunately, it wasn't long until my clanking drew the attention of Luhng's zealous and suicidal personal guard. Øregård went into a rage when it became more than apparent it was an us or them situation. Defending Melock was the key as he would be the one to stop the dragon. The Anvil Brothers and Sister Murphy slashed and smashed through waves of Luhng's caretakers. 

"The closer we go to the vault the more inhuman the enemy became. Hordes of twisted goblin looking creatures fell at our feet and when we found the gate to the vault open it seemed almost all too easy. 

"Our blood-covered gang entered the colossal inner cavern of the volcano. The ceiling was as high as a castle's peak and the floor a sea of gold. It was hot and I was sweating terribly in my armor suit, as was everyone else I'm sure. We stood in silent awe at the ornate treasure room lined with gold-framed mirrors. 

"I'll never know which happened first because it seemed to all happen at once; but de Martín let out a whistle, the Anvil Brothers both spontaneously combusted, and a huge clawed foot came down on Sister Murphy and sent her straight to heaven. The next thing I knew I was flying through the air until I was upside down looking a dragon in the eye. When Luhng spoke it sent fear through my bones."

"Luhng said, 'What is this, a toy?' 

"He proceeded to crunch my mechanical man like a tin can and tossed me helplessly to the side where I watched. 

"Melock began to cast a spell of Binding. The dragon fell, legs hogtied by magical shackles, fierce jaws muzzled, only its thrashing tail remained free. Øregård ran up to the creature and slammed his jagged sword right into its chest. Then the beast calmed down.

"Melock cast another spell, one that took time and seemed to frighten the dragon, as he understood, you see. That old dragon knew all about magic. Melock sealed the island in a twenty-mile radius. A tubular force field went from the bottom of the ocean to the stratosphere. He explained all this to Luhng and then released his muzzle.

"Now, the next thing that happened amazed me. Melock told Øregård to stop stabbing the beast, which Øregård couldn't understand, as he was hell-bent on slaying it. Then Melock and Luhng made a deal. He would leave the dragon with his life and confine him to the island surround and in return the dragon would offer us each a token from his vault. A valuable token.

"I, as you know, was granted the Animator Stone. de Martín, who crept from the shadow's asked for the Cloak of Stealth. And Melock, the Ring of Life. Øregård wanted nothing less than the beast's head, which Melock denied him. 

"Melock took the ring and placed it on Sister Murphy's finger. He held her body in his arms whispering to her, rocking her back and forth.

Then Luhng laughed. He mocked him with a deep bellied evil chuckle and called poor Melock a fool. His thunderous voice filled the room. You see, the ring cures wounds, ailments, diseases, even poisons, but it can't bring the dead back to life. 

"Melock laid Sister Murphy on the ground, put the ring on his own finger, and turning to Øregård said, 'If I was you, I'd take his eye.' And that's just what Øregård did."

The look on Mevner's face said he knew of the eye.

"I've seen a lot in my many years, but I'll never forget that burley green fella climbing up the neck of an enraged dragon and cutting out its right eye."