Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

When Nico declared that Will would be “back” as he put it, everyone looked at each other, all thinking the same thing:  Nico was in denial.

The son of Hades had already lost so much. His sister, his mother, his childhood, everyone he knew back before he got trapped in the Lotus casino, and now the only thing he had to live for: his boyfriend.

Percy cautiously stepped forward and put his hand on Nico’s shoulder, telling him that he should come with him to the infirmary, that they could come back for Will before he returned. Everyone but Nico detected the hesitant tone in Percy’s voice as the spoke of Will returning, but no one said anything when Nico stubbornly shook his head.

“No. I want to be here when Will gets back.”

Everyone looked at each other sadly, and after a beat of silence, Annabeth sighed rather loudly, making the others look at her. She told Percy to get some supplies for Nico’s ankle and for Piper and Jason to go to the Apollo Cabin to tell them the news. As they left, only Frank, Hazel, Nico, Annabeth, and of course, Will, remained.

Hazel stepped towards Nico again, trying to convince him as gently as she could that Will couldn't come back, but Nico shook his head, apparently annoyed no one believed him.                   

“No, he’s going to come back. Stop trying to tell me he won’t come back.”

Hazel sighed wistfully and sat next to her brother. Frank and Annabeth looked at each other, silently contemplating how to get Nico away to give Will a proper greek burial.

At that moment, Percy came jogging towards them, an armful of supplies for Nico. Annabeth walked up to him and took the amounts from him.

She walked over to Nico and kneeled down in front of him, feeling a stab of sorrow for the boy. He was holding his boyfriend’s hand and gazing at his face lovingly as if Will would wake up at any moment.

Annabeth sighed sadly and told him to stay still, looking at Hazel. They both shared a look of sadness, and Annabeth turned to Nico, telling him to sit up and put his legs out in front of her and he did so without protest, never taking his eyes off Will once.

She gently took his leg and told Nico to brace himself for the pain that was going to happen, but when she started to wrap up his leg, he didn't flinch.

Percy informed them that he had to go to the Apollo cabin for the best supplies, and entered as Piper and Jason were breaking the news.

There were followers of Gaia who wanted revenge on the Demi-Gods and came to camp half-blood, attempting to break the barrier. Chiron sent them out to take care of it. Will wasn't supposed to go along, but he was worried about Nico draining himself again and used the excuse of being the Medic during the battle. In the end, Frank found his corpse.

The children of Apollo began to cry, and those closest to Will, like Kayla and Austin, demanded to see their brother, but Piper and Jason stayed behind, explaining to them how... Nico was. Percy left the scene before anything else happened.

Nico sighed loudly, seemingly frustrated that no one believed him.

It was at that precise moment that they heard footsteps running towards them. The collectively turned and saw Kayla and Austin running toward them, Piper and Jason hot on their heels.