Chapter One

The Rosen Catholic Academy, Hinamori Amu's new high school, had a strict uniform policy, for her relieve. The boys' uniforms were royal blue and the girls red, much like her old school, but in a classic Victorian style. Fortunately, now she couldn't wear her extensive collection of designer clothing, with her mom as her fashion coordinator – this suited her fine since she still had problems dropping her 'cool and spicy' act that ruined her chances on making new friends. But now with the end of the Easter, her social life just might be realized at last.

Of course, now she had the advantage of not being alone, Tadase and Yaya went there too. Unfortunately, Nagihiko ended up going to a different school and Rima wasn't old enough. They all threw a good-bye party to them a week ago and she missed them already. What she wished most is that they could all be together, the perspective of being all alone again made her feel insecure as the old days.

So, when she showed up at the School's grounds she was confronted by an enormous ancient gothic structure, like a church. The courtyard was a well-trimmed garden, with roses bushes surrounding it and a fountain in the centre. It was concerning that Amu wasn't used to frequent a foreign building from centuries ago and the school routine was also very different, very European like. The new school was beautiful as it was intimidating.

She was almost sure her parents had chosen that school for its looks, her father being a photographer and all. He must have thought that his little girl school photos would be perfect. The Catholic thing, though, was uncomfortable. Being a Japanese girl with parents that never bothered to raise her in any particular religion. It was very confusing.

Of course, it was an expensive elite school, but after long talks with the principal, he was convinced that her grades wouldn't be a problem. Her parents sure worked a lot to get her into this school so, even being scary, how could she refuse? She couldn't even refuse her mother's choice of clothes.

Even in the new school she was still very stared at. Maybe because of her usual cool and unpleasant attitude that stood out between this abundance of sweet girls. Or because mostly everyone there was from wealthy families that knew each other from decades.

She was nervous. And the school was so big that she couldn't find her friends and the minutes she took to the classroom looked like hours. She passed by two boys talking and looking at her as she was the matter. She spun around unconsciously.

"What," she said, "are you looking at?"

The two boys stretched their back and shut up at the same instant. They were blushing a little, not that Amu noticed.

"Amu-chan! You did it again" Ran said.

Her Shugo charas were floating beside her, of course, no one besides her could see them. Only a few youngsters possess a Shugo chara, and three or more like her was extremely rare. Not that she was expecting finding students with Shugo charas, but if there was it could be a common point to start making new friends.

"Ugh... I know! It just came out."

"Popular as always, isn't you?" She heard a familiar voice behind her.

When she turned to face the owner of the voice she saw Tadase and Yaya, they came to greet her. Yaya hugged her tight.

"Are you okay, Amu-chan?" They seemed to notice her discomfort.

"She still is the cool and spicy Hinamori Amu." Miki said.

She told them what just happened.

"I will never be friends with my new classmates like this."

"Oh... It's a pity that you and Tadase didn't end up in the same class."

"I'm busted..."

"Don't say that! It can take a time, but you will be able to make new friends. They will know you and soon they will love the real you. As we love." Tadase said.

'Always cheering me up' - she thought.

The school bell rang.

"Oh! Time to go inside. We see each other by lunchtime. Bye!"

"Okay," Amu said and waved her hand. "Bye-bye."

She went inside the class and looked at the vacant place near the window. She was already going when the teacher, Mr Yamasaki, told her to wait. He didn't seem to notice her discomfort. He introduced her to the class and they all stared at her blankly. She began to feel sweat pricking the back of her neck. But outside she still maintained her usual cool composure.

Mr Yamasaki only made she stand there a minute, under all those stares, and then he told her to take a seat. In her eyes, he seemed like a serious, but a good guy. Much like an older Sanjou-kun, she thought.

As soon as she sat down Amu crossed her arms on the table and rested her head on them, turning her face a little to look the outside. The window looked out across the school courtyard.

But before the class could start, everybody suddenly started buzzing. Amu straightened up in her chair to see what was happening. It took only a raise of hand to call everyone to order. The hand of a very beautiful girl, who had just arrived. She had a foreign appearance, blonde hair, kept in two long twin tails tied at the back of her head and bright blue eyes. But what surprised Amu the most, was that she also had a Shugo chara.