Now.

The tape recorder sits smooth and black in Will Graham's lap. He stares at it as though transfixed, trying to think of what to say. What do you say to someone who won't listen to your words for at least a decade? Someone you love dearly, but haven't gotten to know yet? Hannibal will be back soon, and Will wants to begin before he returns. 

The clock on the wall chimes noon, surprising him. Styled curls fly as his head whips up to look at it, eyes settling on the tick, tick, ticking of the second hand. Beating heart rate settles back to resting. Somewhere upstairs, a dog's nails click-clack across the oak floorboards. He and the clock are two of the only things illuminated in the dark house-- something that makes Will smile. He knows Hannibal will get on his tail again for sitting in the dark. Honestly, the doctor should know by now that Will does it on purpose, just to irk him. In any given room there are floor-to ceiling windows that the ex-FBI investigator could open if he felt like it. Even the tastefully painted walls sport plenty of elegant wall-mounted light fixtures, if Will felt like turning them on. He hardly ever does. He likes Hannibal's annoyed concern. 

Smirking to himself, Will raises the tape recorder to his mouth, presses a button, and begins to speak. 

"Dear Abigail," He says softly, "You will probably hear a lot of stories about your Papochka and I, and we just want to tell it to you from us, before you hear it from anyone else. People will try to tell you about the years before he and I realized we were in love, but those years... they don't matter. The story I'm about to tell you is the story of your Papochka and I when we fell in love, all the way up to the day we brought you home. So here's our story, rypka."

Will takes a deep breath before beginning,

"It all started with the sea."