Chapter 3

Friday, 9:27 am

I navigated the increasingly narrow roads and arrived at Katie Lee's house. From a distance, it looked like a bizarre grouping of rustic spaceships crowding around an innocent and unsuspecting little rural home. There was a six-car garage to the rear, where Uncle Clarence's barn had once been. I pulled my car into the porte-cochère and parked.

I realized that there were several other visitors: there was a big, white SUV, a catering truck, a domestic luxury car, a little Fiat, and a couple of service trucks. I wasn't sure in which of the buildings I would find Katie Lee, so I sat and watched for a moment. All the activity seemed to center on the 'parlor' building. I climbed out of the vehicle and went in search of Katie Lee.

I had worn the outfit Katie Lee suggested. For some reason, I was a bit angry at myself for having bowed to her wishes considering my clothing. The tee shirt was a fuchsia pink and just a tad too tight for my ample chest. The color made my eyes and complexion glow. I had lost a little weight, and I was proud that the jeans, which had been too tight this time last year, fit me rather nicely. The pink ballet slippers were a fun touch and I had pulled my long, white hair back at the sides with combs and had left it in shiny sheets down my back.

I hiked up the hill to the outside door of the parlor and found the door unlocked. I barged inside and heard Katie Lee's strident tones:

"No! Over THERE! I swear, am I the only one with TASTE in this ensemble?" A minion scurried with a small, round table and several more minions scurried behind with chairs, tablecloths, a flower arrangement and a large tray with what appeared to be a coffee service.

"Set it up so we can see the view—not from THERE! Over there! If Lou ever manages to drag herself in I'm gonna...Lou! It's about time! Coffee is ready!"

The flunkies dumped the table in the indicated spot. Someone whipped a tablecloth over it, someone else arranged the flowers, a third person set three places and another arranged the coffee service.

I forgot my incoherent tale as I asked, in acid tones: "If coffee is ready, why did you make me get you a latte?"

"The coffee is a spur-of-the-moment thing—I have the most delightful surprise! We have an unexpected guest!"

"Guest?"

"Where's all the stuff I told you to bring?"

"In the car...Katie Lee..."

"Give your keys to Renaldo. He'll get the stuff."

There was a handsome young man with a swarthy, Italian look about him. He was wearing a tight tee shirt with the name of a catering company on it. I held out my keys and he took them, sent me a smoldering glance and went toward the door.

"Katie Lee there's a problem..."

"Not until I've had coffee! No more problems! All I've done ALL DAY is deal with problems!"

"But Katie Lee!"

"No buts! I like your hair that way—do you have lipstick?"

"In my purse. Katie Lee, you have got to listen to me..."

"I'm not putting MY hand in that black hole you call a purse. Mildred!"

"Yes, Ma'am?" A woman that looked like Marilyn Monroe materialized near Katie Lee's side.

"Lipstick—hurry. And..." Katie Lee frowned and surveyed me. "Just—just freshen her. And make it snappy."

"But Katie Lee..."