Hand In My Hand And We Promised to Never Let Go

Varian hated the snow. It was cold, bitter, and brought up rather unpleasant memories, so it was a bit touchy for him.

He shivered in the frigid wind and pulled the shawl he had snagged off a cart tight around him. He and Juliet had been reluctant to take it from the merchant while the seller was sleeping, but the harsh weather had forced him to slip away cloaks for them. He had, however, promised Juliet – and himself-- that they would put them back.

Varian watched Juliet calmly speak with a group of snowy white owls on a tree branch and felt a familiar snarl of curiosity. He had so many questions about Juliet's abilities and he ached to understand them. Were all animals able to communicate with each other, as Juliet could speak with all animals? Had Juliet learned per species – were animal languages separated by species? Do the different squeaks and chirps constitute different dialects?

Juliet had merely shrugged when asked about it, saying it was something she just knew, like how he knew to breath and walk. Any further investigation into the matter had quickly been sidelined by the need to escape and then trying to implement the plan. Varian supposed that would have to wait until after.

Something twisted something in his stomach at the thought of after. What would life be like after? They didn't want to kill anyone – the murderous rage that had rose the last time he tried to corner Rapunzel had subdued quickly and he knew Juliet would balk at the possibility if he brought it up. Not that he would. Death wasn't going to get them anywhere and he realized that he really didn't want someone to die at his hands.

After they got revenge, would they simply just be locked up again? Would they be able to escape? If they were just stuck back in that dungeon again, would this plan really do anything? Lord knew that if they were to be imprisoned again, the King would strictly forbid them from being cellmates and Varian couldn't imagine a life without Juliet. Not anymore.

Juliet laughed at some of the chirps the owls said. "No, I don't think that will be necessary. But thanks anyway." She reached down to twirl the ring on her right hand. Varian at first hadn't noticed the ring Juliet always wore – it was very small and all shine it once had had dulled. But it turned out that Juliet was very attached to it; something about it seemed to be connected to Juliet the way his goggles always were on his head.

The largest owl gave one more chirp and turned his head to the side. Juliet nodded once. "I promise you, we don't any of your brethren to get hurt and will do everything in our power to keep them safe."

And that was another thing about Juliet – she was a frequent promise maker despite their sketchy history with promises. Her tone and stance were one that portrayed complete confidence that she can and will get that promise done, and Varian felt in his heart of hearts that she would get what she said done.

He blocked his thoughts before he could think back to the last people he had once thought that of.

He felt something rub against his boots and he looked down to see Rudiger nuzzling against his leather boot. He rolled his crystal blue eyes and reached down to pick up the nocturnal mammal.

"I thought you wanted to stay behind," Varian said to him. Rudiger said something to him, but as he did not have that same talent as Juliet did he didn't quite get the whole picture, and so Varian shook his head in slight exasperation and smiled at him instead. Rudiger returned with a smile of his own. Though Juliet may understand him literally, Varian had known Rudiger far longer and so could communicate with him in his own peculiar way.

"I thought Rudiger told me he wanted to stay behind," Juliet said, having broken away from the owls finally. Varian saw her approaching them, her feet making a slight indention in the blanket of snow covering the ground and the small drizzle of flakes finding purchase in her brunette ponytail.