Chapter 3

Chapter 3........Start

Do you remember what the first day of school was like when you were the new kid. As a child my father was always being transferred from place to place with his job. I hated it with a passion. Being the odd one out not knowing where you fit in. The other kids looking at you like you were some alien or a zoo animal on exhibit. Of course over time you eventually figured everything out but still that first day was a bitch. I had thought as an adult those days were behind me but apparently not. For today I was the new kid and had no idea where exactly I fit in to this group.

I walked out of my room and across to the railing. Looking over there was so many people already milling about and starting their day. Maggie walked out from just below me and looked up, "Come on let's grab some breakfast."

I fallowed her into what must have been the old prisons cafeteria, "How did you sleep?"

"All right, thanks." I poured some cereal and what was obviously very watered down powder milk into my bowl.

Fallowing Maggie we went clear across the cafeteria and sat at a table that had a bunch of faces I remember seeing on A Block. Yesterday Maggie had introduced me to so many people I couldn't remember any of their names. So instead I kept my head down and quietly ate my breakfast while I listened to the others talk.

I was just finishing my tea when Rick stood up, "Maggie I would like the two of you to join the others along the south fence. We've had a pretty good build up over night."

"Ok sounds good," Maggie said as she gathered her stuff. Dropping a kiss on Glens head Maggie motioned me to fallow her into the kitchen. As we pushed our way through the swinging doors I was surprised to see how many people were working in there. It was as if time had stood still and it was a fully staffed prison kitchen getting ready for the days meals. After placing our dirty dishes on the counter we headed outside and across the courtyard. We stopped at a shed and grabbed long poles that the ends had been carved out into extremely sharp points.

As we walked up to the south fence Maggie explained, "You want to stand about five feet away from the person beside you. Try not to lean on the fence and hit as many of the bastards in the head that you can."

Sounded simple enough but after doing it for two hours in the hot sweltering sun you turned to mush. Lifting the stick began to feel like you were lifting a sledge hammer. Even aiming became difficult as your hands became sweaty and covered in calluses. Trying to jerk the stick back out of their head was a effort and a half. Every muscle ached including ones I didn't even know about hurt. I can't say I was sorry to see new people arriving to relieve us.

"That was a workout and a half," I said twisting back and forth trying to relieve some of the tension in my back. "My arms felt like dead weights"

Laughing Maggie walked up to some large blue barrels. Releasing a tap she poured a glass of water and handed it to me. "A workout is putting it mildly but you held your own." Pouring her own glass she pointed at the blue barrel, "Any water in the blue barrels has been boiled and is safe to drink. Don't drink water from any of the other barrels."

"So what's next?" I asked between gulps

"Next we go shower and wash this shit off us. Then we'll go see what's left on the board to be finished for the day." Maggie said as she held her blood splattered shirt away from her body.

"Thank god I was hoping you would say that." I fell into step beside her. "Have you ever smelled anything so bad?"

I squinted into the sun as I looked up into one of the watch towers. Barley able to see I raised my hand trying to block the sun from my eyes. I could just barley make out Ricks form through the glare.