Chapter 18

Chapter 18.....its all over now

For a moment I stood there debating the merits of trying to straight out lie and cover it up or just coming clean. As the walls of my cell shrunk around me and threatened to swallow me whole I decided on avoidance. Stepping around Maggie I stormed off in no particular direction. Anywhere but standing in front of her hurt accusing eyes. "No where I just wanted space."

"I understand needing space but space doesn't require a travel bag." Maggie yelled hot in my heels. "How stupid do you think I am?" Obviously Maggie wasn't going along with just dropping it concept but it was the thread of rope I was hanging onto. I didn't want to talk about it and I didn't want to explain what I was doing.

Reaching the stairs I went down them as fast as I could hoping Maggie would back off. "Just let it go Maggie." The fact she caught me to begin with was pissing me off. The fact she was chasing me now demanding answers like some adolescent teenager caught in trouble by their parent was infuriating me.

"I will just as soon as you stop." Maggie snapped as she fallowed me down the stairs. Relentless in her pursuit our voices got louder and louder as we quipped at each other. Both of us refusing to back down or stop.

Reaching the bottom of stairs I glared over my shoulder as I kept walking. "I'll talk to you about it later."

"So you say," Maggie raised her voice again. "Except there wouldn't have been a later would there Jenna."maher words were accusing but accurate. If I hadn't have paused to double check I would have been long gone by this point. If only I had made my move sooner then I wouldn't be caught in the situation that I was now.

Enough was enough if Maggie wanted to do this then fine we would do it her way. Stopping I pivoted on my heel so I was facing her. "What Maggie....what is it you want to hear."

It was then that I realized the ruckus we were making had drawn the attention of the others who had been inside the prison. People had gathered in the hallway around us and we're openly gapping at the two of us. My life or what there was of it had once again been put on display. I wanted to yell at them all...ask if they wanted popcorn....perhaps they just wanted a front row seat to my misery. Jesus crist I mumbled under my breath as I turned and stormed out the front door into the courtyard. This time thankfullyMaggie didn't fallow choosing instead to storm off in the opposing direction.

In fact she kept her distance from me for the rest of the day while making sure I stayed in her eye sight. Watching my every step and every interaction. It felt as if I was being babysat and analyzed and I couldn't stand it. I wanted to tell her to back off and mind her own business. That she was only making my need to run worse. Maggie was my friend and I loved her deeply but at this point in time she was an intrusion that was holding me down.

She must have at one point said something to her dad. It was clear that something was defiantly up when I went to go work with him that afternoon. Again she had intruded this time bringing friends with her. It felt as if slowly I was being ganged up on. Hershel kept looking at me out of the corner of his eye and I knew it was just a matter of time before he could resist and the lecture would come. A lecture I didn't want and didn't deserve.

"Sometimes it's hard to be patient." Hershel began as he pulled up a chair beside me. "When we don't have the answers sometimes we rush forward making the wrong choices."

I didn't bother to look at him instead I focus on the stitches I was practicing. I was nearly positive this was the start of my lecture but just incase it wasn't I didn't want to open that door to him. I struggled to hold my tongue and to just not walk from the room. After all what could Hershel really do. He was an old man on crutches missing a leg for God sakes. Realizing just how bitter I was acting I took a deep breath to settle myself.