Chapter 7

Chapter 7........restart

The fallowing morning began with more gun training. This time instead of having to aim at cans on a fence there were swinging logs at varying speeds and distances with an red x painted on them. It was defiantly one thing to hit a still target but one that was moving especially when you were moving was a whole other game. The first few times I didn't even come close.

"Remember walkers are not standing still especially if you get surrounded in a herd you need to make every bullet count." Rick watched each one of us judging the success and weakness levels. "This could mean the difference between life and death for yourself or another member."

"A walkers entire need is to get to you and only head shots count," Daryl chimed in. "Close is not close enough"

"Hey Jenna," Rick called out to me. "Remember you need a wider stance and square your shoulders." It was nearly impossible to focus knowing Ricks eyes were on me. Trying to get a grip on my nerves I took a deep breath in. Pulling the trigger I hit the X dead square. Finally successes.

We arrived back at camp mid morning. I was just going to check what needed to be done off the board when Rick spoke from behind me "Hey Jenna why don't you come with me there are some things I want to show you. Fallowing him he lead me out past the back gate stopping to talk to Tyres briefly. As we we walked out into the tree line I couldn't help but enjoy the view of the man walking beside me. His full thick black hair and sun kissed skin. The way his shirt clung to his body suggesting the muscled toned body beneath. Strong and confident with a sexy swagger. Eyes that captivated you and with sexy full lips.

"Where are we going?" I asked in a hush tone.

"Just a little further is our trap line. It's nice when we can get a deer but sometimes we have to rely on smaller animals for substance." Ricks tone reminded me of a teacher.

"You mean like rabbits or something?" I was somewhere between grossed out and happy to be alone with him."I prefer to leave the hunting and the rest to you guys."

"Most of the women do," Rick shook his head, "But if you ever get separated from the group you have to have the survival skills."

"Ok," I said with a sigh. "Does anyone ever win an argument with you."

"I have feeling you could give me a run for my money," Ricks laugh was low and deep.

Silently he held up his hand. Instantly I stopped moving and perked my ears forward. I could here a small animal struggling. Stepping around Rick I could see the small grey rabbit caught and struggling in the trap lines. Grabbing it Rick snapped its neck killing it instantly. I did everything I could but I couldn't quite control my gag reflex. Not to mention somewhere deep inside I thought of Thumper from the movie Bambi.

"The grocery stores and peoples house have been picked clean. It's not pretty but

We continued down the trap line where Rick unhooked the next snared rabbit and got me to reset the snare. I looked up at him questioningly, "Like that?"

"Just about," squatting down beside me he drew the synch up a little higher. "You want to make sure that when it hooks the rabbit it dies instantly so there is no suffering. That and if it is struggling usually s walker will find it before we do. Then they just move down the line and eat everything we caught like a breakfast buffet."

We walked in silence for a moment as I studied Rick. He reminded me of a puzzle that you had to put together to get to know him. Trouble was he kept some of the pieces hidden so you never saw the true picture. Pieces he didn't necessarily want you to see. While there were those of us that we're like an open book and others would share if asked. Rick fell into the group that played it close to the vest.