Chapter 8

*Asiri above*
A
S
H

I spent the next two weeks by myself. Zach wouldn't come anywhere near me, which was absolutely fine with me. But I missed Q and I'd only been around her for a day. I felt like I'd known her my whole life. She reminded me a lot of Mc-. I shook myself from my thoughts. No, I was not going to express my feelings now. That was in the past were it belonged. And I was not about to let it come back.
I spent most of my time in my room in my cabin alone. I liked how bare my room was and it was going to stay that way. However my closet...
I wrote down every experience-good or bad-on a sticky note and plastered them all over the walls in my closet. This was where all of my secrets, my past, my life was going to be hidden. I put any remaining pictures up from my past, any possible memory and thing I could remember. After a week, my closet's walls were covered, every inch, with sticky notes, pictures, and objects. I was very proud of myself. I covered the floor in comfy pillows, stuffed animals, and a mushroom chair. After I recruited one of Hephaestus' kids to help me put a padlock on my closet door, I locked myself in my closet and sat in my closet for three hours every night, looking at all of the memories I'd promised to forget.
     I remembered that morning, just a week ago. After being attacked by a snake monster thing, and then being saved by a half man half goat, I was already pretty much an emotional wreck. Then, we traveled for three days, and that awkward half man half goat became the best friend I'd ever had. Alec Underwood. Every night, he would give me an extra blanket and his coat, making sure I was warm first, and then he would watch over me for the night. And as we were hiking toward Camp Half Blood, he would offer to carry my belongings, which I took advantage of. He made the paths easier to walk over and cleared the way for me. I never really thought to thank him. Now it was one of my deepest regrets.
His jacket was hanging on the wall right in front of me. I felt the sadness begin to rise within me. I was wearing it around my waist when the hellhound came around. Alec and I had gotten really close in just three days. Alec made a corny joke and I had laughed. It had felt so good. I hadn't laughed for such a long time. Then, we stopped. I looked up into his dark brown eyes and realized how much I loved that smile. We started to move closer to each other. My breath caught but my heart started beating faster and faster. Was this actually happening? Before I could continue my thoughts, a giant black shadow came bounding out of the forest. All I can remember was Alec yelling at me to run and me sprinting toward Camp Half Blood in six inch heels.
That was the last I saw of Alec. I wished I had kissed him. I should have thanked him. I should have been nice to him. He deserved that much from me. First my sister, and now my one and only friend Alec.
I shook myself out of my thoughts. Remember what Aphrodite told you, I reminded myself. I looked blankly at the jacket on the wall. What had happened to me? I didn't even know which memories were mine anymore. I was all messed up now. All I knew was that I couldn't share these with anyone. That's what Aphrodite told me. If I wanted to be cool, I needed to make sure that nothing of my past ever got out. I was pretty and bold now. I was going to stay that way.
Soon I fell asleep, wondering what I was going to do with my new life now. I'd pretty much just ruined my last chance of having the many friends I was promised and the popularity I was blessed with. That's me for you. I ruin everything.
I woke up to someone pounding on my closet door. I jumped up in fright. Who could be at my door right now?
"Hey Ash, this is Emmi! I was told to come check on you and I was kinda wondering what is going on with you and Q and Zach." I groaned and threw my head back. Instead of hitting the pillow like I had anticipated, I hit the wall. I cried out in pain as my head began throbbing. "Are you sure you're ok?" Emmi pressed.
"I'm not sure of anything anymore," I muttered miserably.
"You've seen death recently," Emmi said softly without much emotion in her voice. My heart stopped. "A lot of death. More than some see in a lifetime."
My heart stopped. How did she know that? I slowly sat up and opened the door to my new hideout. Emmi's dark, almost black eyes, were glazed over. She seemed like she was looking into another time, another world and time frame. I somehow knew that she was looking in my head and seeing my memories. I panicked and tackled her l, taking her down to the floor. Lucky for us I had no furniture in my room. But Emmi was still pretty upset.
"What the heck do you think you're doing?" She pushed me off of her chest and struggled to her feet. After cursing a couple times she continued to accuse me. "Like I'm literally sitting here trying to help you and you shove me to the ground!"
"I'm so sorry!" I jumped to my feet. "I don't know what came over me. You just scared me is all." I shifted uncomfortably under her glare. "You really shouldn't do that...nobody likes to have their memories brought back up. I should know. That's how I lost my twenty four hour friend group."
"So that's what happened!" Emmi forgot being upset at me and the whole conflict that had just happened and had a look of eagerness in her face. "Tell me what happened! Every engrossing detail! I want to know!"
I was a little reluctant because of Aphrodite's advice but I decided there was no harm in trusting one person. Plus she seemed like she actually cared about me. So I told her all about the capture the flag incident and what happened between Q, Zach, and I. She was a very intent listener and gave a lot of input. So, I figured I could continue. I then explained what happened with Alec in the forest. I told her that his death had been on my mind quite a bit lately and that we had actually gotten very close to each other. She told me that her parents were Frank and Hazel Zhang which gave her the ability to discern death in one's thoughts. I explained that when someone made me upset I could make them see their worst fears. Emmi shuddered. 
     We talked for over an hour, expressing our feelings of contempt and hatred for people, and love and affection for others. I finally had a real friend. Someone I could trust. I really thought there was something special about Q but maybe I misread the vibe. But for now, I was happy. But I put my trust in her all too soon...