VII - Enamored and Affinity

Alex Hamilton left his workplace happily, humming to himself, twirling his keys around his finger. He slid into his navy blue sedan and started his journey to John's house.

He could feel himself blushing when he realized that he had the route and address memorized. He knew it had only been a month or so, but he could feel a connection with John that he hadn't felt in so long. He hadn't felt this type of adoration, this type of need to be by someone's side since... well, since Eliza.

Alex turned the corner, nearing John's neighborhood. It was funny - he'd thought that the butterflies he'd felt when picking up John for the first time would go away after the first date, but they came back every time Alex did so much as think about John.

So frequently did he feel the blush dusting his cheeks, the giddy smile on his face, and the nervously excited butterflies in his stomach, he'd begun to associate the entire feeling of happiness with John.

At first, John and Alex spoke mostly of their children. Alexander had quite a handful of them, whereas John only had the one. They discussed their worries, their fears, their love for their kids. They even talked about their hopes and dreams for them.

Alex, at first, had been worried about touching on this particular topic, but found himself naturally opening up and comfortable enough to talk about the mother of his children.

John, as always, hadn't judged or given false sympathy, but had wrapped Alex in a hug that he found himself never wanting to come out of.

It was that moment that he realized he never wanted to be without John.

He had been nervous about telling Philip about them. He didn't know how Philip felt about his mom, and how open he would be to Alex seeing someone new, but when Philip confronted him about it, Alex was beyond relieved.

And when Philip had been supportive - excited, even - about it, Alex couldn't have been happier.

He must have known it was the case after endlessly thinking about him, hoping to receive a text from him, or feeling this level of anticipation before seeing him, but he had really come to terms with it when he talked about John with Philip - he was fully, completely whipped, head-over-heels in love.

And wow, did he love it.

--

Alex pulled up to John's house. He sat outside, parked in his car, trying to calm his nerves and tame his hair.

He was about to get out to greet John at the front door, but he was too busy reassuring himself that John actually liked him that he didn't notice his date open the door himself and slide into the passenger seat.

"Hey, stranger," John winked at him, being overly flirty.

Alex chuckled, lightly hitting John's shoulder, and played along. "Hey handsome."

"You come here often?"

"Only for you."

Alex grinned giddily, starting the car.

"How was work?" John asked, teasing smile lingering on his cheeks.

Alex only sighed and rolled his eyes.

"That bad, huh?" John rubbed Alex's shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek.

Alex gave John a sideways smirk. "At least I had something to look forward to."

"You haven't been overworking yourself, have you Alex?" John smiled at the comment but his tone descended into seriousness. Alex's heart warmed at John's concern. "You know, it's not good to stay awake for seventy-two hours straight."