Chapter One:

"Eira, stay here," my father, Vekel Azouf, orders as thunderous roars from above echo through the night sky.

"But--"

"No! You're in no shape to help."

My eyes fall onto the large bruise on my left arm as a result of a failed bola launch by my friend, Hiccup Haddock.

"He's doing this to protect you, you know?"

I clench my jaw at my older brother's statement.

"He treats me like a babe. I'm fifteen, Calder!" I holler, turning to open the front door of my hut.

However, a fluid stream of fire keeps me from taking a step out. A scaly, reddish-orange snout peers through the flames, revealing the head of a Monstrous Nightmare.

"Eira!" My brother shouts, shoving me to the side with one hand, where the other grips his battleaxe.

The dragon rears its head back and opens its mouth. A flame builds, illuminating the dragon's sharp teeth. Calder gasps in realization, snatching my collar, and practically drags me away from our hut as the dragon releases its fire, which engulfs the front of the building.

"Get to the forge! I'll tell Dad that you're there."

Calder gestures in the direction of our village's blacksmith with his head. Despite my mental protest, I listen to him. Unfortunately with my brash decision, I forgot to grab my bow before I opened our hut's door. I narrowly avoid various attacks from dragons and Vikings alike, only to run into the village chief, Stoick the Vast.

"Eira, what are you doing out?" He demands, having me flinch at his tone, "Get to forge and make sure that Hiccup stays there with you!"

I gulp but nod nevertheless before continuing my way to the blacksmith.

"You finally decided to join us," my mentor, Gobber the Belch, taunts as I rush into the forge.

"Sorry, Gobber." I mutter, holding my hands up in defense, "Where's Hiccup? Chief told me to keep an eye on him."

"In the back."

A hammer banging against metal to my left brings my gaze to a scrawny Viking teenager with auburn hair and green eyes.

"Glad you weren't carried off," I joke, tightening the head of a battleaxe. "No way Gobber and I could fix all of these weapons."

"Glad to hear that you weren't burnt to a crisp," Hiccup retorts, causing me to snicker.

"Work!" Gobber yells from the front of the blacksmith.

Hiccup and I bring the repaired weapons to the awaiting Viking warriors, who take them without another word. A nearby hut is set ablaze by the same Monstrous Nightmare that attacked Calder and I.

"Let's go! It's time!"

My eyes follow the sound of a feminine voice, spotting Astrid, a Viking teen my age, jogging toward the burning building with the four remaining teenagers trailing close behind her. Even with their water buckets, the fire is out of control. Astrid spins her heels and flips her bangs out of her face, only to fall back in front of her left eye. I peer at Hiccup, finding him in a trance. I roll my eyes in annoyance, flicking him behind the ear.

"Ow! What was that for?" He grumbles, rubbing the area where I flicked him.

"Stop staring. It's creepy for her, and it's weird watching you do that."

"Admit it. Their job is a whole lot cooler."

"And needed. Just like ours."

Hiccup leans further out the window, but a hook from Gobber's left arm prosthesis stops him.