Prologue- When Things Go From Good To Bad

Keaton's P.O.V

I took a deep breath and advanced into the conservatory. Glancing up, my mum eyed me from the tip of her reading glasses. "I need to tell you something." I stated.

Mum nodded and placed her book on her lap. I decided against sitting down as I planned on not staying long anyway. I strolled towards the doors of the conservatory, not facing her "Yeah, I thought I might tell you that I'm gay."

I heard no reaction, so I guessed either she hadn't thought any different or she didn't care.

Before I could react, I felt warm hands wrap around my neck. Turning me around, I faced my mum. Her jaw was clenched tightly; if she clenched any harder I was sure her teeth would crack and fall out.

"How could you!" my mum screamed. I stood their gormless. I didn't think my mum would react like this. After all, she was in full support of LGBT rights and often helped to promote the acceptance of LGBT's.

Feeling her fingernails biting into my skin, I madly started to jerk my head away. This caused her hand to tighten around my neck. Gasping, I desperately started to pound on the windows- hoping to draw attention to us.

Mum instantly picked up on my idea and grabbed my wrists with her free hand.

I couldn't draw much oxygen to my lungs. I had no idea on what else to do I was pretty much restrained. There was no way I could fight my way out. My mum was a police officer; she was trained to hold people down.

"You disgusting vermin!" my mum spat into my face. That's when I felt the first of the tears drop down from my eyes. The salty tears rolled down my cheeks and then were sucked into my mouth.

My mum's face was red from anger, with her veins popping out from her forehead. "I thought you wouldn't care." I choked out between sobs.

The grip loosened from around my neck and I stumbled back. I was caught by a hand clinging onto my waist. "You support gay rights, you shouldn't care!" I said, louder- more confident.

The hand that was around my waist had come down and hit me on my cheek. It left my cheek stinging with the force that my mum had applied. I slumped to my knees, grasping onto my cheek.

"Of course I care! Your my son and I don't want you to be gay!" she replied with her voice cracking on the last word.

"Why does it matter?"

"It matters because that means that you can't provide things a normal man can!" she screamed. She momentarily closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

Scared, I clambered to my feet and ran up the stairs. I slammed my door shut behind me-making sure to lock it.

I stared into the mirror realising that my face looked awful. I had a bright red hand print spread across my cheek. In addition, I had five individual fingernail marks on my neck, with blood at each one. My eyes were puffy and blotchy from the tears that I had shed.

Hearing loud footsteps pound on the stairs, I naturally cowered into the corner of my room. I curled into a foetal position.

I was actually terrified of my mum now. Frightened of her hitting me for what I am. I hated it. I hated having to be scared of my own flesh and blood.

"You've got five minutes before you have to leave."

Did she mean move out? To where? I had no one. The only other family was my thirty-one year old sister and she had her own family now.

I reached for the suitcase that rested on top of my wardrobe. Before stuffing it full of things that I would need.

Clothes, electronics and toiletries.

I hardly made a dent in all the stuff I had. However, I had to comprise and take things that I would definitely need.

I grabbed my penny board from the floor, tucking it under my arm. "Out you get, you vermin!" I heard my mum shriek.

I pulled up my window and threw my suitcase out the window. I followed once I found a safe route to get down.

There was no-way that I was going to risk being abused again by my mum. Jumping from the low hanging branch, I quickly got my suitcase and ran to the shops close by.

At least if my mum did come after me now, it would be out in public and she couldn't hide. I called up my sister.

"Hey, Keaton?" she asked

"Yes." I replied suddenly out of breath "Pick me up!" I demanded, getting paranoid.

"Why?"

"Stop asking questions!" I chided. I could imagine her rolling her eyes on the other side of the phone.

"Give me ten minutes and I will be there," she said.

I'm sure that was the longest ten minutes of my life. I had stood there with my suitcase outside the Co-Op. People had given me weird stares. They all gasped once they realised that I had a massive handprint on the side of my face.

I visibly relaxed when I saw my sisters Ford C Max come around the corner. She pulled up to the curb and I scrambled in the car, throwing my suitcase on the back seat."Why you in such a hurry?" she asked with a bright smile on her face.

"Mum." I breathed. Ophelia shot me a quizzical look so I explained. "I told mum that I was gay and she went ape shit on me."

I pointed to the marks on my neck and the handprint on my cheek. I heard Ophelia gasp before saying, "Mum did that?" I nodded furiously.

"Plus she kicked me out and I have nowhere to live now." I said miserably.

Ophelia shook her head "Your coming to live with me," she announced. I gave her a genuine smile. I was glad I had such a great sister.

With that, she drove away.

Authors notes...

Hey guys, I'm really looking foward to writing this book, but I have other books to write first :{

Please just hang in there. Keaton on the side, Also a very appropriate song too >>>

Don't forget to vote and comment :}

B x