Chapter 2- I Understand

Keaton’s P.O.V

 Thud

I groaned as I hit the cold floorboards. I sat up rubbing the back of my head and elbows. I guess I wasn’t used to having a single bed again.

Looking over to the clock, I realised that it was time for me to get up for college. I took a quick shower and got dressed before heading downstairs. “Morning Keaton.” Shawn greeted, grabbing a granola bar.

“Are you going to have something to eat before we go?”

I shook my head, walking towards the fridge, “But I will have a drink.” I picked up the orange juice and poured myself a glass.

Once I had finished my orange juice, I grabbed my backpack, heading towards the door. Shawn led me to his car. I jumped in and buckled up, while Shawn reversed out the drive.

“So what you studying in college?” Shawn asked. 

“Animal management.”

“Oh fancy, you get to clean up animal shit.” Shawn joked, smirking.

I nodded my head in agreement, “Yeah, it’s exactly like that.” I replied sarcastically. Shawn placed a hand over his heart in fake hurt, as we stopped for a red light

The rest of the car ride was silent. Glancing out the window, I saw a young schoolboy holding his mother’s hand. I held back any emotions that decided to resurface. I had to get a grip.

There were hundreds of schoolboys with loving mothers, living in Weymouth. I just had to accept the fact that, my mother would never love me anymore.

I thanked Shawn for the ride as we pulled up outside my college. I mentally cursed at the fact that my college rested on top of a hill. Once at the top I was sure that my heart had enough. I had never had to walk the hill; the bus always took me to the top.

I made my way to my locker, changing some books over. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I jumped in surprise, managing to hit my head on my locker door.

“Ouch.” I cursed, rubbing the side of my head. “I hate it when you sneak up on me!” I chided.

Parker emerged from behind me; laughing like the fool he was. That’s two things I hurt myself on today, there’s got to be a third. They say it always comes in three’s. I just wasn’t looking forward to the third one.

“Aw, come on it was funny.” Parker exclaimed, still laughing. He acted out the scene, while I stood there with my arms crossed.

“Remind me why I’m friends with you?”

“Because you love me and would miss me if I was gone.” Parker retorted, with a hint self- gloating. I whacked his shoulder as I walked by.

“Abusive!”

I flipped Parker off, as I flung open the theory classroom door. I didn’t mind theory, but it was for three days of the week. Meaning, that I only had two days of practical with the animals.

Once Parker and I had taken our usual seat, our lecturer, Tanya walked in. “Morning guys. Hope you’re ready for another Monday morning!”

Mostly grunts were released, but a few cheers appeared too. Tanya was the only lecturer I knew who could be so cheerful on a Monday. Tanya plugged in her laptop and loaded her presentation.

I preferred college to school. You were so much freer; you didn’t have a teacher breathing down your neck every hour. Also, you could call your lecturer’s by their first name’s. That was the hardest part to get used too.