Chapter 1- Settling In

Keaton’s P.O.V

 “Welcome home.” Ophelia said proudly.

 I stood awkwardly in the entrance to her home. Both children turned their heads and stared at me. “Mummy who’s this?” Bella asked, tugging on Ophelia’s hand.

“That’s Keaton dummy.” Leyton replied. Leyton was the oldest at eight. Bella was the youngest and only five.

I had barely seen Bella since she was two, no wonder why she didn’t remember me. Leyton and I had always had fun playing football in his back garden or park when he was younger.

Ophelia and Shawn’s house hadn’t changed since I had last been here, three years ago. I was glad it hadn’t I didn’t do well with change.

 How ironic.

Bella stuck her tongue out at her brother, before pushing some of her blonde hair out of her face.

“Language Leyton” Shawn scolded, walking in the living room. “Hey Keaton. Do you want me to start making dinner?” Ophelia nodded.

“C’mon, I’ll show your room.” I grabbed my suitcase and hurried after Ophelia. She twisted the metal doorknob and nudged the door open. “Not much, but we don’t have anything else.”

My new room wasn’t any bigger than my old one. It had a reasonable sized T.V sitting on a self, with an Xbox below.

I threw my suitcase and penny board on to my bed and turned to my sister. “You sure you don’t mind me living here? You know with me being gay and all.” I mumbled, looking at the floor.

“I’m sure Keats; after all you’re my baby bro not matter who you are.”

I forced a small smile on to my face. “I’ll let you settle in and I will call you when dinner is ready.” Ophelia ruffled my hair and left.

I slumped into my new bed, closing my eyes. Never in my life, would I have thought my mum would react like that.

You could clearly see the hatred burning in my mum’s eyes, while she had her hands wrapped around my neck.

I brushed my hands over the bruises that were forming on my neck. I grimaced when I pushed harder on a sensitive part of the skin.

I took to staring out my window. A change in scenery will do me well, right?

A small knock on my door, had my body jumping off the bed. “Keaton! Mummy says its dinner time!” Leyton yelled.

I pulled my door open and followed Leyton down the hall. “Are you going to live with us now?” Leyton asked, turning his curious eyes on me.

“I…” I stuttered.

“Yes he is Leyton.” Shawn said, rescuing me as he swooped by. He picked up Leyton and threw him over his shoulder. Shawn bobbed up and down, causing Leyton to giggle.

“Again, again.” Leyton demanded. Shawn rolled his eyes and plonked Leyton in his seat.

“I’ll do it again, after dinner.” Leyton pouted and crossed his arms.

“Don’t be a pouty pants Leyton.” Bella said, cuddling her purple fox teddy. She carefully placed her it on the table. Bella smiled at her fox teddy before tucking into her food.

“Keats, you O.K with sausage and mash?” I nodded and scooped up a forkful of mash potatoes.

“Keaton, can you play Minecraft with me after dinner?” Leyton asked, with a mouthful of food. He let it spew out of his mouth as he spoke.