Chapter Four

Locking the storage shed securely and driving back to the downtown section of Farmington, the two located the town's Walmart store. There they entered with a mission: to purchase supplies sufficient to investigate the contents of the boxes and crates inside Blake's father's unknown trove of . . . questionable objects.

Filling up a plastic handbasket with screwdrivers, flashlights, a pair of pliers, a hammer, a small wood saw and a large hunting knife, the two carried their purchases into the store cafeteria to order sandwiches and drinks. While waiting for their order, Blake's cell phone rang.

"Blake? It's Stephanie. Where are you?"

"Oh yeah . . . Hi, Steph. Well actually . . ."

He looked over at Russel.

"Somewhere out of state, to be honest," he said under his breath.

Russel nodded and gave a throat-cutting sign to his friend, indicating he should hang up the phone. It was the girl Blake had been seeing recently at the university, and fairly regularly. Russel obviously did not like her, possibly for dominating so much of his friend's time over the past month. And now it was their critically important Spring Break.

"What do you mean . . . out of state, Blake? I thought you said you'd be in San Diego this week. I'm there with a few girlfriends and wanted to hook up with you by now. The partying is already happening here, Blake."

"Yeah, Steph. Well something's come up . . . involving my family. I'm here in Arizona, and . . ."

"New Mexico!" Russel emphatically corrected.

"Yes . . . New Mexico, that is."

"Who are you with?"

"My friend. Russ . . ."

"And five cheerleaders from the University of New Mexico!" Russel shouted, menacingly while smiling.

Blake covered he phone and walked over to the nearby housewares section of the store for better privacy.

"What's his problem, Blake? Hey, are you really partying over there instead of here?"

"No. Hardly partying, Stephanie. My dad died a little while back and, well . . . I'm just here going through his stuff for my mom."

"Oh. Sorry, Blake. And she's not with you?"

"No. It's kind of complicated. But I'll be coming back soon."

"Alright. So . . .your coming to San Diego. Right? Liked we planned?"

"Russ and I should be on our way there . . . maybe by this afternoon or tonight."

"Well then . . . how long before I see you here?"

Blake looked over at the cafeteria. He could see Russel pretending to be stabbing himself in the chest with an invisible knife.

"It will be at least . . . a full day of driving. Two days most likely. Where are you girls staying?"

"In Pacific Beach. Near the Over the Line Tournament."

He could hear a couple of females screaming and laughing in the background.

"Oh my God! Pretty crazy goings on here already, Blake. But I'm saving myself for you, you know."

"Alright. Just watch the binge drinking over there. I'll call you tonight. Don't want to hear any . . . guy's voice nearby, OK?"

"That depends. On how late you get here." She laughed.