Chapter Thirty

Following a restful night's sleep in the Lancolm's two guestrooms, Michael, Tuwa, and Blake were up shortly after sunrise to join their hosts in the bright and airy breakfast room downstairs. The sunny space was enclosed with windows allowing the forested surroundings to be seen. They were soon joined by Dr. Berling who brought out a tray with two full coffee pots and a porcelain China teapot. There was already laid out on the table cinnamon rolls and bowls of fresh yogurt and fruit.

"We hope you all slept well," Kyah asked, as everyone took a seat before the breakfast.

"This mountain air is lovely," Tuwa replied. "So easy to find rest here. And especially in your beautiful home."

"Yes, we appreciate the hospitality," Michael chimed in. As before, he had not parted with his backpack containing the two discs safely inside.

Blake just gave a sleepy nod to the hosts in his usual, non-comital manner, then surprisingly inquired if his father was asleep somewhere in his Airstream trailer on the premises."

"He certainly is, Brad," answered Dr. Berling, smiling. "He has a tendency to sleep late now that he's somewhat retired from all those years wandering the desert. But you really should pay him a visit before you depart today. I suspect you'll want to keep in touch."

Again, a thankful nod. But this time with a smile.

"Well, I'm sure you'll all want to get on your way sometime today," Mr. Lancolm said, pouring out the coffees and biting into a glazed roll. "And we appreciate letting us keep you overnight for this important meeting. Of course . . . anything you're willing to share with us about your unprecedented contact, we would greatly appreciate."

Dr. Berling agreed and held up is teacup in affirmation. "And as you know, we are already grateful for your commitment to assist us as members of our private and influential group."

Michael then stood up. He unceremoniously reached into his backpack and took out one of the celebrated discs. He handed it over to Mr. Lancolm who quickly and carefully wrapped a table napkin over his hand to receive it.

"I've thought long and hard about whether to share this gift with you and your organization," Michael said. "And I discussed it last night with Tuwa . . . who also feels this is a sound decision, based on what you are doing and what we have learned here."

Everyone at the table was temporarily speechless.

"Since I'm keeping a similar one," Michael went on, " for the Native Americans and their long plight on this planet, both Tuwa and I feel we can all benefit from your and our efforts. To finally reach the truth and share it with the world."

Still no one else spoke and there was a deafening silence in the air.

But this peace was quickly broken by the sound of a helicopter approaching directly on the horizon.

"Everyone . . . get back inside the main room!"  Mr. Lancolm demanded.

The group responded as he wished and all quickly moved into the more central living area of the house. The helicopter was traveling toward the property at high speed and in a few moments was clearly nearer and on a straight trajectory to pass over it. This it did at a low elevation, the roar of the engine rattling the windows as it breached the roofline, causing the branches of the trees outside to wildly sway.

"What's going on, Peter?" Kylah asked her husband with panic in her voice.

"That's a military Blackhawk," he said loudly. "First time they've buzzed our house like that. . . "