Chapter Twenty-Six

Once outside, the three were still speechless as to why the man called Toby went to such generous lengths to free them. Finally, Michael spoke up.

"So can you please tell us what that was all about in there? Why you would do something like that? You did probably save Blake and me some serious trouble with the police."

"There's someone ya'll are gonna meet over in Colorado," Toby said while walking. "He'll explain this a whole lot better to you folks. I'm just here make'n sure you get there."|

Michael looked as Tuwa.

"And why would . . . he  be so interested in all of us  then?" she asked the stranger.

"That's someth'n you'd best ask him, ma'am. But I can tell you . . . all ya'll's questions are gonna be answered over there if you come with me."

"Are you working for Dr. Berling," Tuwa asked, while Toby led them into the shade of the motel.

"Don't work for him, ma'am. But he's involved in this."

"In what?" Michael asked impatiently.

"We best be on our way, folks," Toby answered quickly, inviting them toward an immaculate large-cab, Dodge Ram pick-up.

"Look," Tuwa said, irritated. "I was supposed to meet with Dr. Chris Berling today. Are you aware of that?"

"Yes ma'am. He'll be await'n there for us too. I'm here to give you folks a lift to that meeting. Dr. Chris Berling will be there with my boss.

"Your boss?

"That's right, Miss. Mr. Greg Lancomb."

"Michael?  Should we go along with this?"

Michael was pensive and expressionless. "Sure, Tuwa. I think it's time we hear from your Dr. Berling and our friend Toby here's boss . . . Mr. Lancomb. It's time for some explaning. So, you taking us there, Toby?"

"Yup. That's the plan, folks."

"OK, let's go," Michael said, now eagerly.

They all comfortably got into the shiny Dodge truck and Toby sped off out of town. They were headed northwest, towards the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Just up the highway was the border between New Mexico and Colorado, known as "four corners."

*     *     *

* * *

As the truck left the mostly desert terrain, the land soon became greener and they skirted a few small rivers. It was water from melted snow, feeding the land from the higher elevations of the Rockies. Besides the greener coloration, the distant peaks loomed huge on the horizon. Outside the view became more impressive and the foliage seemed to scintillate with rich colors.

 Outside the view became more impressive and the foliage seemed to scintillate with rich colors