12. Something Dodgy

The What Bistro? George had already forgotten what Rory had said. He really could not remember. He slapped himself and decided that he would just get out and look for some old bar and see if Ringo was there. He couldn't have gotten far. They were still new to the city and they couldn't afford train or bus fare. But then again, The Hurricanes seemed to be doing much better than them: they wore suits and shiny Chelsea leather, dressed in expensive cologne and handkerchiefs in their breast pockets. But then again, like George and his friends, they were here in Hamburg. At this rotten night club. They needed money.

What? George stopped. He noticed Paul standing at the curb of the road, looking sort of pale, staring ahead of himself. He followed Paul's gaze and, suddenly, mirrored his very expression. John was sitting outside a café, under a blinding string of fairy lights, scratching a pen on his little black Moleskin, drawing as usual. What choked him up, however, was the young man who was peering over John's shoulder, supposedly trying to look at the doodles. It seemed Ringo was upon exiting the very building (and now, as George noticed the marquee, he remembered the name of the bistro), when he noticed John. He appeared unsure if he should interrupt and greet John or not. George hoped he wouldn't because John didn't seem too keen on Rory Storm's band and John, unfortunately, could be very mean sometimes.

George wanted to turn around and just go back to the club, not wanting to be a part of some scene, when he heard someone particular say his name.

"George?"

He winced, turned back round, "Hey Paul,"

"What you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," George said. "Except I don't care."

"Yeah, sure you don't," Paul rolled his eyes. "Something's up. You were looking for your mate, Ringo there, and you've come all this way and now you act like you don't care." Paul shook his head, "Something's up."

Bloody Paul, George thought.

"Something's up," Paul repeated. He grinned with narrowed eyes, curious, "Something dodgy."