Chapter Thirteen

All night I stayed with him, and not once he moved or spoken a word, it worried me a little but, I knew deep in my heart that he was going to be okay.

I woken up to the sound of clicking heels as a nurse walked into the room, she looked surprised to see me here but, she also looked puzzled as well.

"What are you doing here sweetie?" She asked gently.

I sat up in the chair and rubbed my eyes, "I'm sorry, I just didn't want to leave his side," it was the truth.

The nurses' expression changed as a smile grew on her red painted lips, "you must be starving, how about some breakfast? I promise he will still be here when you get back."

"That sounds nice," I stood up from my chair, I took one last look at Joe before following the nurse out the door, she led me down the corridor and into the cafeteria.

"Please, help yourself to anything."

I smiled, "thanks."

Honestly, I was starving to death, I haven't eaten anything sense I left the house last night.

And so, I walked over to the buffet, grabbed a plate and filled it up with bacon, eggs and sausage. I sat down at an empty table next to the floor-to-ceiling window and began shoving food down my throat.

"Audrey," my fork was half way to my lips when I heard the sound of Jacks' voice, I looked up to see him standing in front of me with his hands flat on the table.

I could tell by his face that he just woke up,"you stayed here?" I asked.

He nodded his head as he sat down in the chair in front of me, "I stayed because I was worried about you."

I pulled my eyebrows together, "why were you worried?"

Jack hesitated, "I know I'm not suppose to tell you this but, I'm going to tell you anyway."

"Tell me what?"

"Joe is a-" his voice was cut off by the sound of police sirens, I looked out the window to see two cop cars pulling up.

I swallowed hard, their probably looking for me.

Just then, I saw Chris climb out of one of the cars, he saw me and sighed in relief.

"I should go," I said to Jack.

I left him alone and walked out of the hospital, Chris ran up and hugged me tightly, "we were worried sick," he said as he pulled away from me, "we thought someone kidnapped you."

"No, I stayed the night here," I replied.

"How's Joe?"

"Still the same."

Chris gave me a closed-lip smile and pats me on the back, "lets take you home, your mother would be happy to see you."

***

I walked inside the house to find my mother jump up from the sofa, she gasped when she saw me.

"Oh, Audrey," she walked around the couch and gave me a hug and a kiss on my forehead, "were have you been?"

"I was with Joe," I said.

"Joe?"

I nodded my head in response.

"How is he doing?" Mother asked.

"He's doing okay, but he keeps sweating alot," I told her, "honestly mother, I don't know whats wrong with him."

Chris spoke next, "Audrey told me that his temperature was rising, very dramatically."

I nodded my head in agreement, "its true."

I've asked the doctors but, they don't know whats going on either, but then I noticed something, what was Jack trying to tell me earlier?