Open Heart

Rapunzel snuck past the sleeping guard into the castle dungeon. She knew Varian would be inside, so she quickly opened the door.

Varian played with Rudiger, happy to at least have a friend by his side. "Hey buddy..." he started, looking the animal in the eye. "I'm sorry I used you..." the raccoon hugged his face, and Varian snuggled the rodent close, before the door of the dungeon suddenly opened.

"Hey. How are you doing?" Varian scowled at the sight of Rapunzel, turning his back and hugging his knees to his chest, facing the wall with the old metallic window. "Listen, I know you're upset-" Rapunzel said solemnly, before suddenly getting cut off.

"HAH! Upset? Upset!? If that isn't the understatement of the century. If you came here too cheer me up, you're doing just an AMAZING job, Princess!" Varian had turned around, standing up in the middle of his cell. He was clearly holding back tears. Rudiger curled up, frightened in the corner of the cell.

"All, I wanted. All I wanted, was for you to help me. You promised. You promised me, and you're not supposed to break promises. Hah, you probably think you're some, big hero! Saved the Queen from the bad guy. But you know what? You didn't save ANYONE. My dad is still sitting, rotting away inside those crystal walls. I needed you, I needed your help. I understand that Corona needed you too, but think, for one moment, couldn't you have helped me after that?! No! You're over here, doing nothing, sitting and watching me cry my eyes out. My father, will probably NEVER see the light of day again. And it's all. Your. Fault." Varian's eyes swelled with tears, chocking him on a few words.

Rapunzel's eyes watered, she was shocked by Varian's words. She hadn't realized she had hurt him this much. Suddenly Varian was on his knees crying, sobbing hard enough to choke. "I... just w-wanted my dad t-to be p-proud..." Varian's face was red and blotchy, the floor beneath his face turning dark from getting wet. He suddenly started wailing, his voice painful to listen to. Rapunzel immediately slumped down, moving to get close to the bars.

"Varian... I didn't know." She shed a coupe tears, coaxing Varian to move closer to her. She held him through the bars, letting him cry into her chest. He was a sight she never wanted to hear or see again. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so, sorry." Rapunzel whispered into his hair, bringing him closer to her. "I-I-" Varian started, before blubbering out a crude "I'm sorry."

"I didn't k-k-know wh-at to do!" His last word was interrupted by sobs. "Shhh, I know." Rapunzel shushed and comforted him best she could, she knew this was the least she could do for Varian after all she had done.