Duels

Miraz stationed his army in the forest in front of the How. He kept me tied up and sat me in front of his table with all the lords at his side. I could see the white flag from my position as Miraz sat down at his place in the tent.

Edmund walked in with a big scroll but briefly glanced at me. I bet he was alarmed because I looked horrible. Some Telmarine guards beat me up last night and my face was all bloody and bruised. Not to mention my leg that was probably dislocated and caused me to limp the whole way there.

Edmund read:

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands. In order to avoid the indomitable diffusion of blood, I do herby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death, the reward shall be total surrender and return of M'lady the Knight."

He rolled up the scroll again as calmly as possible.

"Tell me Prince Edmund-"

"King." he interrupted.

"Pardon me?" Miraz asked.

"It's King Edmund actually. Just King though. Peter's the High King. I know, it's confusing." he explained.

I smirked but concealed it quickly.

"Why risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz continued.

Edmund looked around, "Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? Only a week ago, Narnians were extinct."

"And so you will be again." Miraz said while leaning forward in his chair.

"Then you should have little to fear."

The lord laughed heartily, "This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Edmund questioned.

I smiled. We got him.

"I didn't say I refused."

"You shall have our support, your majesty. Whatever your decision." one of the lords spoke.

"Our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid wha-"

"I'm not avoiding anything!" Miraz shouts while pulling out his blade.

"I was merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse." the man defended.

"His majesty would never refuse. He relishes the chance to show the people the courage of their new King." Glozelle spoke from behind Edmund.

Miraz turned to face Edmund and pointed his sword out.

"You. You should hope your brothers sword is sharper than his pen." he threatens.

"The Knight shall be present during the duel." Miraz states. Edmund nods and leaves the Telmarine camp with one last glance at me.

••••••••••••

An hour later, Miraz takes General Glozelle, Lord Sopespian, and I to the stone battle field. I was sitting on Miraz's side with a gag and binds on my hands. A soldier was keeping their sword on my shoulder just for emergency.

Peter and Edmund walked out of the How and met us on the opposite side.

Edmund stared at me with concern. I tried to convey that I was fine with my eyes but I don't think it worked. Or it did, but Edmund just didn't want to accept that.