𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Vivian was pleased to find that that same man had found himself a seat at the empty bar. It had been a while since she had come to sip wine out of the comfort of her own home, so she was quite content when she would also be joined by the man she had met a good, few weeks prior.

She sat down and he lifted his head. "There was a point where I was wondering if I'd ever see you again."

"You wanted to?" she said, as she easily bore a smile.

"I wanted to at least know your name." he replied. He had already gotten himself his regular glass of Hennessy that was wafting in her direction. The woody fragrance was bold but comforting.

"Vivian." she stated. He met her dark eyes and grinned softly.

"I'm Demetrius." he responded. She nodded, as the two held contact for a few more short seconds before she flicked her eyes to the bartender that was heading her way.

"The usual, please." She placed a £5 note down. Franklin snatched it and poured her usual that he knew all too well. "So what brings you back here today?" she proceeded.

"I didn't feel like going to this promotional dinner that's happening right now, I think." he checked his watch. "Yeah, it didn't start too long ago."

"Who got promoted? I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that it wasn't you. With all due respect, of course."

"You don't need to be nice about it," Demetrius chuckled. "He's just another white male, 'dominating' the business with his stolen ideas. My manager likes him way more than me."

"Because of your race?" Vivian questioned.

"I'm not trying to point fingers and make accusations, but fuck yes. Especially with the sector I specialise in, I'm one of the only coloured males. It's become a whole company of racists." he kissed his teeth as he sipped the Henny.

Franklin returned with Vivian's tall glass of wine, she smiled at the sight of it, feeling relief being alleviated from her shoulders. She took a long sip before answering,

"What do you do exactly?"

"I work with financial planning and wealth management. Like, I know what I'm doing and my manager feels like he can take me for a mug." he sighed, "Anyway, what's brought you here?" He faced her and cocked his head as he leaned against the bar.

Vivian perched the Bordeaux glass between her middle and ring finger as she thought to herself. She didn't quite know herself why she felt the need to actually come to the pub that day.

"I'm not even sure. I guess I sort of miss this environment when drinking this wine." Demetrius laughed uncontrollably.

"What is there to even like about this place?" he enquired.

She laughed as well. "This place is proper bummy for Central London, I know. But I like the fact that I feel elegant in such a place. Who drinks wine at a bar? Have you ever seen that before meeting me, Demetrius?" Her tongue tingled as she said his name, making her smile.

He smiled back, "No." She had to admit that his symmetrical features complemented his smile.

"Could be the beginning of a wonderful trend." she shrugged, turning away and eyeing the neon sign of the pub's name in looping cursive. "Even so, I could easily question why you seemingly always have Hennessy on the rocks."

"Henny is great, Vivian. Full stop."

She scoffed, "It's aight."

They talked for a while, about general small talk topics: work, hobbies, a few things to get to know each other. It was until Demetrius's phone seized his attention. Vivian watched silently, as he groaned at the sight of the name and then declined.

He raised his dark eyes back to hers and immediately knew that she wanted a brief explanation.

"My ex is trying so hard to be relevant in my life again." Vivian nodded, chuckling slightly also.

"Who broke it off?" she asked.

He swirled his Henny. "She did, she claimed she wanted space and when I gave it to her, she went off with another yout and now she expects me to take her back. She's 'had enough space now', she said." he rolled his eyes. "I ain't got time for her."

"If she was off with another guy immediately after she asked for space, you were temporary, Demetrius. Sorry to break it to you." Vivian stated. She turned herself slightly in her seat to face him directly, making sure that he would read her exactly.

"You think so?" He did the same, tilting the glass and letting the measly ice cubes hit the walls.

"My friend has done that. I don't talk to her anymore, she started moving real snake-y. She liked to have a few guys around at all times, just in case she'd lose one. She probably thought of you as quite disposable."

Demetrius remained silent.

"I'm sorry." Vivian instantly blurted. "I'm giving you absolutely shit advice. I shouldn't even be asking you about your personal relations and telling you how to handle it, as though I'm your therapist." He met her eyes and she seemed to shut her mouth. She knew she was beginning to over-complicate her simple apology and his eye contact was the memo to shut her up.

"Don't apologise. I needed someone to tell me that." His voice was flat and, now, seemingly distant; it made Vivian worry. Quite irrational to be, she thought. "I don't usually open up about things and I so easily did with you. So it's just nice to have someone tell me the truth, without me necessarily asking. Thank you." The stir of her heart's speed levelled as she sighed.

"It's... no problem." She paused. "You know, my dad always told me that strangers seemed to console you much better than people that you know."

"That's real talk." he mumbled.

"Just think of me like a canvas," she grinned and sipped her wine, keeping the contact with his eyes that were locked on her. "A wine-stained canvas that you can paint all your worries onto." Demetrius grinned back.