Chapter-2 : Bakery Shop

Melissa's POV:

I yawned and stretched my arms over my head to relax my stiff body. I opened my eyes, feeling the warmth of sunlight falling on me from the window. The ray of shining Sun, which was brightening the light grey walls of my room, calmed my senses.

Calming mornings were the most longing thing for me four years before. I would either wake in pain from the last night's beating or with the upcoming hits of my father.

I shuddered from the painful memories and decided to get up and got ready for my bakery.

I did my morning rituals and got dressed before living in my apartment. I was wearing a floral skirt with a black blouse and to complete the outfit I had put on a black leather jacket with white converse.

(Picture of Melissa's dress below:)

I was walking on the side path of the street, taking in the fresh morning air

I was walking on the side path of the street, taking in the fresh morning air. The neighborhood where my apartment had situated was a really peaceful and quiet area. My bakery shop was two blocks down the road from my apartment building, so I would walk there daily.

There was a park on the way to my bakery near the apartment building. It was really nice to saw happy families, enjoying their time together. The thing I could only wish for.

When I reached my bakery shop, the bell hanging above the door chimed as I entered.

"Good morning, Mel!" Sofia chirped as she greeted me. She was my best friend and my co-worker. She would always open the shop before my arrival.

"Good morning, Sofia! How's your mother now?" I asked, immediately remembering about her mother. A grim expression instantly darkened her beautiful features. I didnt like it even a bit.

"Yeah, she's fine now. Doctors said that they have to perform surgery soon." She said in a low voice. I felt a pang at my heart when I saw her sad face and walked to her squeezing her shoulders in an assuring way. I couldn't bear to see always smiling and cheerful Sofia like this.

"Hey! Don't worry. How much do you need for the surgery?" I asked. She lowered her head and started looking anywhere but me.

"Thanks, Mel, but you really don't have to do this. I-I will find a way. You are already paying her hospital dues." She said embarrassed. A scowl masked my features as I looked at her pointedly.

"Don't say that. She's a mother figure for me too. So, don't say such absurd things. I will visit her in the afternoon, so you should better take care of my bakery shop, okay?" I said playfully, which was enough to put a small smile on her face as she nodded. That was it. I didn't like to see the people I love in despair.

"Thanks." She said again. I just shook my head and pulled her in for a hug, we both smiling contentedly. After that, I went into the kitchen to start the day.