Chapter-5 : Family Dinner

Narrative's POV:

Everyone was sitting on the dinner table, awkwardly gazing at one another. It wasnt like those normal family dinners. It was the first time after Melisa had left that house, when they had gathered for a dinner.

It was her mother's doing. She wanted to settle things between her daughter and husband, which was impossible, knowing that her husband would never leave his filthy friends and keep on his drinking habit. Whilst Melissa would never stand his obnoxious behavior or any abuse towards her or her family. But one can at least try, right?

Nora and Camellia were sitting at the other side of the table, while Melissa and her mother were sitting in front of them. Her father was sitting at the head chair with an annoyed look on his face.

He didn't want to sit with them to have dinner. However, he better knew that Melissa was the one whose money he had been using for drinking. Anyway, he wanted to be on her good side for the time being.

Melissa was sitting beside her mother with gritted teeth, gripping the fork tightly her hand. Her mother sensed her daughters discomfort and placed her hand on Melissa's that was in her lap.

Melissa relaxed a bit but still felt annoyed. Nora, who was sitting near her father, tried to pour some water in her glass. The thick atmosphere was making her anxious. Her hands quivered, accidentally spilling the water on her father. This snapped her father's anger that was already at the edge and he couldn't restrain himself anymore. He bolted up from his chair, throwing it backward.

"What the hell?! Are you stupid?! Get out of my sight now?!" He shouted at Nora, who was now trembling in fear. Melissa could not take this shit anymore and also stood up from her chair, knocking it down whilst glaring daggers at her father.

"Stop it! How could you talk with a child like that? She's just a kid! What's the big deal if she spilled some water on you?!" She bellowed at her father, who snapped his deadly glare towards her.

"Mind your own business bitch! Get out of my house right now! And you." He said to Melissa and then immediately grabbed Nora's arm, who started to cry hard. "You have to be taught how to behave at the dinner table." He said lifting his hand to hit her. However, his hand was grabbed mid-way by Melissa.

"Don't you dare to touch her!" Melissa growled at her father. She pulled Nora away from her father's grip. Seeing this her father yanked his hand away from her grip and he started to tremble in anger.

Melissa looked towards her mother, ordering her silently to take her sisters inside. While she was looking towards her mother, her face flew to the side as she felt a sharp sting on her cheek. He slapped her. This wasn't the first time though. She had faced worse than this.

Her mother immediately rushed inside with her twins. Meanwhile, Melissa turned her face to her father's angry one with a mocking smirk.

"Is this all you can do now? Come on, you know you can do worse tome." Melissa mocked him. He clenched his fist in pure rage and landed a punch in her stomach, knocking all the air out of her lungs.

She bent down in pain as a groan left her lips, trying to bear the pain. This pain was nothing compared to the pain in her heart. Her father grabbed her hair in his fist and yanked her head up to look in her eyes.

"Are you satisfied now? Or do you want more? Huh?" He gritted out, his eyes staring maliciously at Melissa. Melissa only gave him a smile which angered him further if it was even possible. This was her way of pissing her father off and she loved it. She liked the pain and annoyance seeping from her father. Was it sick of her? Yes. But she liked it.