SPY cont.

I clenched my jaw and bit my tongue so that I wouldn't reply what I really wanted to.

Olivia Daps. My high school class' alcoholic. Just what I needed right now.

"Oh hey Olivia. Yeah well, times change." I forced a sickly sweet smile on my face.

I heard Ethan chuckle quietly at my shoulder and I guessed he knew how fake that smile was.

"Oh my god is this your boyfriend?!?!" Olivia shrieked, looking at Ethan over my shoulder.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes or slap her or both.

"No." I replied, at the same time as Ethan replied "Yes."

Olivia looked at us weirdly, and I couldn't help but smirk.

"Just for the night." I added, thinking that might shut her up.

Indeed, it seemed to have the right affect as Olivia giggled and flounced off.

I looked at my shoes before looking up at Ethan. To my surprise, he seemed slightly hurt.

We made our way back to my seat, where we silently sipped our beer. The silence that hung between us was heavy. Finally, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

"Why do you have a pistol in your jacket?" I blurted out.

Ethan spluttered, spraying beer across the bench.

"What the fuck?!" he looked up at me, eyes narrowed, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Don't lie. I know you do." I looked at him sternly.

Ethan tilted his head on one side, looking at me. He seemed puzzled.

"How?" he finally sighed.

"When we were dancing. The first time. I was pressed up against you. I could feel it in your jacket." I explained.

I looked at him before asking him the question I was burning to ask.

"Why?"

"I can't say." Ethan looked away shiftily.

"Well then we have nothing else to discuss." I said in a level voice, getting up to leave.

Before he had time to protest, I turned back with a smirk.

"By the way, if you want your letter back, come get it."

I watched as Ethan searched his jacket pocket, then paled and jumped up, dashing after me.

I made my way hurriedly across the carpark. I arrived next to my car and watched as he sprinted towards me. He didn't slow down and I cringed, expecting an impact, but instead he slid to a stop and pinned me against my car.

"Give me back my letter." he murmured against my neck.

I shivered at his closeness, but it was going to take more than that to win me over.

"Or what?! You'll shoot me?!" I replied provocatively.

Ethan groaned, pulling his face away. He closed eyes briefly, seeming to gather his thoughts.

"No!! But it's confidential and I need it back. Please." He looked down at me pleadingly.

"Oh yeah, because you're a spy." I raised my eyebrows.

I felt Ethan stiffen against me.

"I read the letter." I added softly, watching his reaction.

Ethan looked at me uncomprehendingly.