A New Connection

[The Past]

Newt woke up just as he normally did. It was 7 a.m., or so he was led to believe, being locked up in this windowless facility for far too long. He showered, put on a clean pair of clothes and then waited patiently on the edge of his bed for the guards to come knocking at his door. Surely, just as they always did, they took the boy from his room down through long, bleak hallways until they reached a large cafeteria full of other kids around his age. Like always, his closest friends, Minho and Alby were already sat and engrossed in their breakfasts. There, too, was Y/N.

She was smaller than the rest of the boys, a little outspoken and timid. But, Newt didn't blame her. After all, she was the only girl amidst a group of close to fifty boys. The only other girl was Teresa, one whom Newt had met and spent many nights exploring with until he and the others were caught. Since then, he hadn't seen her. Being the only girl couldn't have been easy. Whenever he saw her, though, his chest tightened up and his breathing quickened. She reminded him so much of his little sister, Lizzy, who was locked up somewhere else in this facility. The only time he ever got to see her was on late night escapee missions, peering through an air vent as she slept.

This morning, in particular, Y/N looked a little more down than normal. Why? Newt wasn't sure, but he was going to find out. After all, there was nothing else to do in this place. The twelve year old boy sat down at the table with his friends, ever so begrudgingly beginning his breakfast. In no way could he tell what it was, nor if it was actually fit for human consumption.

"What took you so long?" Minho grumbled.

Newt shrugged. "Guards must have picked me up last."

"And they picked me up first! I was sat here all alone for five minutes." Alby whined.

From the corner of his eye, Newt could see Y/N's smile rise ever so slightly as she giggled. But, it wasn't enough to keep whatever it was bothering her at bay.

"I'm goin for seconds. I don't care what that lady has to say about me being a food hog. You coming Alby?" Minho stood up abruptly, taking up his tray in his hands like some kind of knight. Sure enough, Alby, his partner in crime, followed along. It wouldn't be long until a shouting war with the food lady ensued, but until then, Newt had a few moments of silence to talk with Y/N.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

Y/N nodded, but shuffled closer to him. "Something's going to happen. I don't know what, but-"

Newt raised his brows and shushed Y/N. "What do you mean? And what happened to your leg?"

Y/N looked down grimly to her swollen, bruised and rather unsightly looking ankle. "Remember yesterday when Minho tripped me? I actually really hurt it." She huffed. "When the guards saw it this morning, they sent a message to Dr. Paige. Something about a test."

"Maybe they just want to see what's wrong." Newt said softly, trying to stop himself from looking to her leg. He could tell it hurt, but she did a good job of hiding it.

Y/N shook her head. "They said your name too."

Newt's stomach dropped. Why would they have mentioned him? He had nothing to do with Y/N's injured leg, or anything else for that matter. For as long as he could remember, he did as he was told, was a good student and a good patient. Even when they put something in his head and took blood from him every week, he never questioned it. All he hoped was that he wasn't in trouble.

"Did we do something wrong?" Y/N grimaced at the thought. Doing something wrong almost always meant being sent away or isolated in the facility. All the four kids had was each other, and losing one would truly damage their lives. Especially if the one being taken away was Y/N or Newt. They were each others comfort.

"Sure bloody hope not," Newt sighed, stirring his food, which was now cold, mindlessly. "Guess we'll find out sooner or later."

Newt had thought it might be days or weeks before the answers to all of their questions began to unravel. Unfortunately, it was only hours. Instead of being taken to their normal exercise class, Newt and Y/N were excused by the teacher and brought to a hollow laboratory with incandescent lights. Newt didn't mind all that much because he hated the running instructor. Minho may have loved the drill sergeant of a teacher who made them run on treadmills for hours, but Newt disliked the man. So, being here was better. To an extent, that was.

Y/N was sat down beside Newt on a small medical bed where Dr. Paige knelt down in front of them. "That's a nasty bruise you have there, Y/N."

The girl nodded shyly and lowered her eyes. Dr. Paige nodded and some other doctors began to poke and prod at Y/N's injury, making her wince and clench her fists. Newt watched at the entire situation unfolded, the entire time screaming inside of his own mind. He wanted to hit the doctors who were hurting her, regardless of what their intentions were. He wanted to scream at them and tell them to stop, to take him in her place. All he wanted was for them to leave Y/N be so she could heal on her own time. They were twelve. Newt knew kids healed fast. He'd seen Minho with a broken arm and Alby with a dislocated shoulder. Both of them had healed in no time, but never had to endure any of this torture from the doctors.

"STOP!" Newt shouted, his voice broken and squeaky. Halting what they were doing, the doctors looked to Dr. Paige curiously. The doctor in white stepped closer to Newt and eyed him sharply.

"Is everything alright, Newt?" Her voice was so soft and comforting, yet Newt could feel his insides churning in her presence. He knew there was something more to this woman and what she was doing here in the facility. There was something beneath the surface being hidden from their eyes. Even though Newt knew he and his peers were young, they still deserved to know what was going on. There was more to all of this than just studying their brain activity in search of a cure. It didn't stop there and Newt knew it.

The boy nodded nervously. He had so many thoughts coursing though his mind but they never left his mouth. "Yes."

"Are you feeling...unusual in any kind of way? Any strange sensations? You certainly reacted violently to seeing Y/N in pain." She questioned the boy.

Now, Newt could feel his body shaking. "No." He whispered.

"Alright," One of the doctors spoke slowly. "We are going to make some adjustments to the implant we placed in your head."

"What?" Newt whimpered. He looked to Y/N, wide eyed and panicked. She tried to reassure him, but it hardly did anything. Were they going to hurt him?

"Are you ready, Newt?" Dr. Paige asked. Newt could see the sympathy flickering in her eyes as he knew his eyes were glassy and nose was red with terror. His chest heaved up and down, yet despite all, he nodded.

Dr. Paige sent a sign of approval to one of the doctors and slowly Newt could see the man sliding his finger up one of the glass screens he held in his hand. He'd changed something, but Newt wasn't sure what.

"Do you feel anything now?" Dr. Paige asked.

For a moment, Newt sat in silence, focused on every sensation in his body and mind. He felt absolutely nothing. Just before he could force the word 'no' out of his mouth, it was replaced with a shrill cry of agony.

It felt as if his ankle had been run over by a vehicle and was being stomped on repeatedly. Jolts of sharp pain shot up his leg like bolts of electricity. It throbbed as if shards of glass were being pressed in and out, causing him to nearly tear up the pieces of his pants bundled up in his fists.

Over it all, he could hear Y/N. She, just like had had earlier, was crying and screaming at the doctors to stop. It wasn't a scream of fear, though. It was one of true pain. The pain he was feeling.