Common Courtesy

While separated, Newt couldn't focus on anything other than every little feeling. He was worried. What if that door she'd been told to enter didn't lead to some showers like his door had? What if she was in danger? Surely, if she was, she would send him a sign. Maybe, she'd pinch her skin or scratch herself. He knew he had to have some trust in her, but it was difficult for the weary boy. The only thing he felt in all of his time in the bathrooms that would signal her presence was a burning sensation on his back. That led Newt to the assumption that she'd jumped into some far too hot water on accident.

Now, Newt was situated on a medical bed. Doctors were swarming the room like angry bees, running tests, drawing blood and injecting the Gladers with all kinds of things. Minho ran repetitively on a treadmill, but he didn't seem to mind all that much. To his right was Thomas, sitting on the edge of his bed, body obviously tense.

"Where's Y/N and Teresa?" Newt whispered. He knew lowering his voice wouldn't do much, but it was better than nothing. Thomas turned to look at him, eyes wide and frantic. If Newt didn't know better, he'd assume he was wacked out on some kind of drugs.

The boy shrugged. "They should be here in a few minutes. Girls do take longer with that kind of stuff, y'know? Or maybe they had to get tests done somewhere else—"

"No," Newt snapped. He hadn't felt any pricks which meant she hasn't had any needles yet. "Y/N's not like that. She'd probably be quicker than the lot of us."

"Hey, it's ok." Thomas tried to reassure. "They'll be here soon."

Soon ended being more like close to an hour. Newt was beginning to panic. Not once had Y/N sent him any kind of sign or returned the one's he had sent her way. There were a lot of reasons for her to not respond, but Newt was one to always assume the worst. Even though the people here were fairly kind and hospitable, Newt didn't trust them. No one would tell him who really ran this place other than Janson, who he worked with or where this 'home' was he promised to take them too. So many unanswered questions left him restless and aggravated. He knew his face was probably flushed and brows were furrowed, but maybe that was good. Anyone who could read the signs would know to stay away.

Suddenly, a rapid pinching sensation hit Newt's left bicep. That was always Y/N's signal. But, her pinches were so quick and sharp he knew something was wrong.

Finally, at the end of the medical bay, the door swung open wide and Y/N and Teresa were ushered in. Teresa was immediately taken by the arm by a doctor and placed down on a bed, the curtains being drawn around her. Y/N looked around frantically until she found the blonde haired boy and made a break for him. Though, she didn't make it far until another doctor swooped her off and dragged her to the opposite side of the room. Just as had been done to Teresa, the doctor drew the curtains around Y/N so she could no longer see her friends. In the few split seconds that Newt had met her eyes, though, he knew something was wrong. Very, very wrong.

Y/N was normally a calm, collected and fairly fearless person. But she looked terrified and lost, something Newt rarely saw.

As Y/N sat on the bed, her arms being pricked time and time again by needles, she tried to think of a way to contact Newt. There was no way for them to share words like Thomas and Teresa could. The closest thing was sharing emotions, but Y/N knew she had already done that. She could feel Newt's panic alongside her own, along with his loneliness.

He may have not known all this time, but anytime she was away, she could feel the hollowness in Newt's chest. It made her feel guilty, knowing she meant that much to him. Sure, she felt the same when he was away, but not to the same extent. To Newt, Y/N was his lifeline. The one thing he cared about enough to keep him sane, the one person he couldn't live without.

It wasn't long before the the small pricks at Y/N's skin grew more painful. They prodded at the wounds she received during the fight against the grievers instead of treating them. Not only that, but they went as far as to burn her right arm with a smouldering piece of metal. They said it was to solder one of her bleeding wounds, but she knew there wasn't one in that spot.

The searing pain was where Newt drew the line. He too knew she didn't have a cut there needing of being soldered.

"HEY!" He cried out as the sound of Y/N's muffled cries from across the room. From where he sat, a needle in his arm and a doctor holding him back, he knew there wasn't much he could do. "That's enough!"

A rapid, scratching sensation radiated on his thigh. That was probably Y/N's signal for him to quit it, but he wasn't going to. They were hurting her, more than necessary, and he wasn't about to stand for that. Not when he could do something about it.

One of the doctors from Y/N's bed slowly emerged from behind the curtains with a grim, yet curious look on their face. Newt didn't like it one bit, and neither did Y/N. The doctor looked back to Y/N, then to Newt and then sighed.

"Take all of the boys to the cafeteria," The doctor commanded the guards. "We will finish up the tests on the girls before we send them out."

The guards obeyed, and before any of the Gladers could process, they were being dragged out of the room like lifeless corpses. After a walk down a long, lifeless, incandescent hallway the boys found themselves in a cafeteria. Food await them on a table, something most of the boys couldn't resist.

Newt, however couldn't eat without having her here with him.

"Your name is Y/N, correct?" The doctor questioned the girl. Y/N nodded timidly in response.

"Right," Hummed to doctor, putting a thumb on their lip. "And the boy, the tall, blonde one? His name is Newt?"

Y/N nodded, but narrowed her eyes in question. "Why do you need to know? You haven't asked for anyone else's names so far."

"No reason," The man waved Y/N's suspicions off. Either there really was nothing to worry about, or he was an awful good actor. At first, Y/N liked this place and the people. But the more time she spent here, the more she began to feel the same way Newt did. Uncomfortable and afraid. "I think it's just common courtesy we know our patients names."

"Yeah, sure," Y/N muttered. By this point, she was starting to wonder who these people really were. They were acting strange, especially around her. Along with that, Y/N could swear the doctor seemed pleased when Newt cried out for them to stop hurting Y/N. If she didn't know any better, she'd assume these people knew of their true identity. Knew about their ability and wanted them for something. After all, the Doctor in that video after escaping the Glade had mentioned their importance and value to WICKED.

Y/N wouldn't be surprised if there was a bounty on their heads.

Now, she too was beginning to miss Newt. This was the first time she really came to realize how much she relied on him in a sense. In every situation, they worked through it together and were each others compass when they were lost. Separated, however, Y/N felt incomplete. And, as a matter of fact, sort of powerless.

While the doctor was turned away, Y/N pinched her arm a few times. Slower than before, as to not alarm Newt.

In he cafeteria, the boy nearly jumped out of his skin. He'd been awaiting any kind of sign for the last hour, yet what his body ended up being shocked with was no signal sent by Y/N. A sudden pain radiated from his kneecaps and wrists. What scared him was the fact that this was no little accidental bump into a wall. The pain he felt was aching and heavy, meaning whatever had happened was not good.