Does It Scare You?

They were finally in the last city. After six months of tireless chasing after WICKED, surprise attacks and constant heartbreak, they'd been led here. To the place that both Y/N and Newt knew would be their final destination. Whether that meant the place they'd simply make their last stand and then leave this fight behind, or much, much worse, they knew it was the end of the line.

Minho was here, somewhere, and they weren't leaving without him.

Gally was here too. In fact, if it hadn't been for him, all of the Gladers would be in a lot more trouble because he'd stopped WICKED from capturing them the first day they arrived.

For the first time in a very, very long time it felt like the Gladers had some down time. In that limited free time, Newt found himself at Y/N's side on the rooftop of the rebel compound, legs hanging over the edge. This was the first time Newt had found himself up in such a high place since he jumped. Looking down below, he felt like he was looking at the ground through different eyes. A lot of things had changed since that day in the maze, and they were all for the better. He feared the ground now and no longer did he wish for it to be the cause of the end of his life.

"Does it scare you, being up here?" Y/N asked hesitantly, eyeing Newt cautiously. She could feel a conflicted feeling in her chest which was very evidently coming from him.

Newt shook his head and took in a deep breath. "Not really. Not when you're here, at least."

Y/N let the wind fill the silence, but she could feel Newt wasn't finished speaking.

"It doesn't hurt anymore, you know?" He slumped his shoulders slightly, eyes focused on his hands. "All of that is still there and it's a part of me. But...it doesn't feel like I'm sinking all the time. I don't feel like my chest is getting heavier and heavier and that at some point it'll just cave in."

"Even with everything that's happened? With Minho—"

"Even with Minho." He nodded, turning to look at Y/N. "I don't know what it is, but you've changed everything."

Y/N smiled lightly. Even she had noticed over the past while that she felt like her own chest wasn't so heavy. Maybe, just maybe, Newt was somehow letting go of some of his heartache. "I'm—"

Before she could finish, or even start what she was about to say for that matter, someone from behind cleared their throat. With a closed off posture and shy eyes, Gally flashed his eyes at the pair. "Mind if I talk with Y/N?"

The girl looked to Newt and he shrugged, so Y/N carefully pressed up off of the ledge and stepped towards Gally. She dusted her hands off on her pants and looked up to the boy whose hair was now cut nearly to his scalp and whose shoulders were broader. His demeanour was darker, but more mature. "What's up?"

"We've got a problem. I need your help." He said lowly, trying to hide his voice from Newt. But, surprisingly, the blonde had good ears.

"What kind of problem?" Newt asked sternly, still remaining sitting on the ledge.

Gally shifted his weight. "Nothing big. I just need her help."

Before Newt could argue, Y/N held out her hand in Newt's direction, signalling for him to drop it. Then, Y/N followed Gally out and down a rickety old metal staircase to the base of the compound. On their way down, they passed Thomas who just so happened to be looking for Newt. Y/N figured it would be good for Newt to have someone to talk to while she was out on this mission of sorts with Gally.

Carefully, the boy led Y/N down a ladder and dropped into an alleyway.

"What's going on?" Y/N asked, carefully scanning around. People ran in the streets and there was the sound of fists pounding on metal doors.