Chapter 40 - Hogsmeade Crisis II

(See previous chapter's summary for summary)  

 "I'll try it first." It was surprisingly not the tallest of the three witches that spoke up—it was the dark-haired one among them. Something about her button nose reminded Hermione of Pansy.

"Excellent! Now, I'll have to ask everyone else to back away to this point while I referee the fight."

They stood up a good distance away, with Tom standing in the middle with a handkerchief. It was easy to guess that the moment his arm came down was the time it would start.

Hermione stood in a relaxed, loose-limbed pose.

The flash of white handkerchief fluttering had her sprinting from a dead stop. Whatever spell the Pansy look-a-like sent went wide off the mark. Hermione idly raised two shields to hold against the next several hexes and jinxes that were cast, the witch getting more desperate the closer Hermione gets. Another strategically raised shield, and then she stepped out from behind it to kick her opponent right in the midsection. The Slytherin witch was thrown back a nice distance. Alright, I am still feeling pretty vindictive at them.

"Expelliarmus," Hermione calmly cast. She might not be that good at hand-to-hand, but she did have the basics down. It was enough for self-defence (and kicking prissy Slytherins in fights, apparently).

She could hear Tom's lazy drawl calling out.

"Victory to Hermione."

"You used shields," the other witch accused.

"I said I'd use exactly one spell to attack you. I didn't say I wouldn't use any for myself."

When she seemed intent on complaining, Hermione cut in. "Did you know that the attacker we fought with outside had been wearing an anti-magic charm? How would you have dealt with that if you're apparently this helpless now?"

The witch's face reddened.

"Congratulations. A muggle can bring you down and kill you." She said, smiling but not bothering to make her words or tone any more pleasant. "Now please go away someplace safe before you get yourself killed. Or even worse, you might get someone more competent than you killed when they're trying to save you."