Chapter 5

When Barry woke up, CC was gone. Barry didn't know where he was, but he honestly couldn't care less. He had to find Lily and JJ.

What he didn't expect was to head to the bathroom and hear almost silent crying.

Barry knew who it was, especially since only two people had been given keys to the place. He fought off his instinct to help and instead decided to go get ready for the day. It really was an inconvenience for Barry since he couldn't use the bathroom.

Normally, Barry would've gone in no matter who it was, but he had some stuff to do. CC had betrayed him on multiple occasions, so Barry didn't trust him. Not anymore. Thawne, Hunter, heck, even Smart himself had damaged that trust beyond compare. 

So he changed quickly and walked out of the room, ignoring the quiet cries coming from the bathroom.

He decided to change back into his own clothes. He could borrow CC's tomorrow. Maybe JJ's or Lily's. He wasn't exactly comfortable with having his clean clothes rely on CC.

After changing, Barry went back to the bathroom door. The muffled sounds were gone, but Barry had a feeling CC could still want comfort. He knew he would.

When he walked in, though, he wasn't greeted by a wet-eyed Snart. Instead, there was a stupid smirk on his face.

"Did you really think I'd be crying?" CC asked, but there was something in his voice. It made Barry feel like this was a quiz, like if he said the right thing he'd get a reward.

Barry blushed and looked down. Then a thought occurred to him.

"Why didn't you take your shirt off last night?" Barry asked, genuine curiosity coating his words. He was surprised by the guarded look that entered CC's eyes at that. Barry held his hands out in front of him in the universal sign of surrender. The look remained, though.

Barry sighed, the moment lost. He turned around, only stopped by a soft sigh. He turned around and was surprised to see CC lifting up his shirt.

"Happy?"

No. No, not even close.

There were scars lining his entire middle, only cutting off at CC's shoulders and waist. Since he was a CSI, Barry could tell what each one was from. The long one that went across his entire chest was a dagger or knife. There were some unhealed burns that covered more skin than any others, though the whip marks were a close second. Almost as if he could hear his thoughts, CC decided to add, "There were some sessions that weren't shown on my skin."

Did that mean water torture!?

"What..." Barry took a deep breath. "How long was this going on?"

CC looked at the ground. "Five years," he replied softly. Barry silently begged CC to look up, to say something!

"You hate me, don't you?"

Barry flinched at the emotionless in his tone. "No! No, I don't!" Barry said. He wasn't ashamed of the tears that came to his eyes, the ones that showed he had feelings. He wasn't a monster.

CC finally looked up and made eye contact with him, and Barry felt his heartbreak grow that much more as he saw the hopelessness in his eyes. "Why would I believe that?" CC finally said after a moment's pause. 

"Because I'm not capable of hating anyone," Barry replied in the same whisper as before. 

Suddenly, there were arms around him.

"I know you don't mean it, but thanks," was muffled by his shirt. Barry couldn't bring himself to argue, so he just squeezed back as tight as he could, praying it would be enough. That he could be enough, just this once.