Night of Indulgence

The last night of Carnevale came quickly. All throughout the day we heard shouts and laughter from outside. Everyone seemed to be in the most pleasant moods. At half-past twelve there was a knock at our door. When Severus answered, it was the concierge from the main lobby, and he was holding two long garment bags carefully off the ground.

"There was an order placed for these when the reservation was made. They are paid for and there's a note with them," the vampire said. He glanced over Severus' shoulder at me and smiled faintly. I returned it and brushed my hair behind one ear awkwardly.

Severus took the items with a confused expression and thanked the man. Then he brought them over to me and together we removed the bags. I gasped at what lay within; Carnevale costumes for myself and Severus. Mine was a long-sleeved gown in a rich violet that was comprised of a corseted bodice that flowed from the waist to the floor in elegant velveteen ripples. The upper portion was adorned with tiny stars made of emeralds that gleamed in even the faintest light. With the dress, there was a brilliant white mask with intricately swirling vines of purple and green painted on it. Soft feathers extended from the sides just above my ears.

Severus' robes were just as brilliant. They were a deep plum with a dark green neckerchief and white button-down shirt beneath. The sleeves and torso were tapered the way he preferred, and the trousers fits him just so. His mask was half green and half plum with a jagged line of silver vertically separating the two down the middle. He picked up the note and broke the thin wax seal.

"Dear Isabella," he read, glancing at me before continuing, "If you are going to honeymoon in Venice during Carnevale, you simply must do it right. I took the liberty of having these made for the two of you, but it's your task to convince your husband to participate. I think he secretly would want to, but he seems to have an aversion to fun." Severus made an unpleasant face and continued. "Have fun. Be safe, and party like you mean it. Love, your father."

I couldn't help but smile. My dad really did think of everything. Severus was turning his mask over in his hands with an uncertain look on his face. I had instantly become excited, but now I had to do my part of the deal and persuade Severus to go out in the costumes.

"Severus? You will come—won't you?"

"I don't know, Isabella...The last time I wore a mask, it certainly wasn't for celebrating."

I took his hand and pulled him into a wonky dance with no music. "It's our honeymoon, though. My father has a point. We should do this the right way since we're here and all. It'd be fun. Besides, the point of wearing a mask is to be anonymous; nobody would know who we are, and we could do anything!"

"So could anyone else," he pointed out. I pouted at him.

"Please, Severus?"

The tick went off in his jaw, and I knew I had won even before he answered. I leapt in the air once and gave him a big kiss while wrapping him tightly in my arms. This was going to be the most fun I'd ever had. I just knew it!

A few hours later we were both dressed and masked. We stood in front of the mirror together, and the impression was striking. Even I would not have recognized us if I had passed us on the street. Severus' hair seemed to frame his mask perfectly, as though the mask was his true face. The way my gown was cut and fell made me look older; womanlier. I found myself thinking of Stella Arcuri and smirked. Tonight, I could stand toe to toe with her without feeling lesser.

Together we headed out onto the bustling walkways and caught a gondola to take us for a ride. We had no destination at the moment. The main party at the Castello di Magia would not begin until later, but we did not wish to spend all day in our room. There was too much excitement in the air. We rode the waterways for nearly an hour before having the gondolier dropped us off a few blocks from the castle. We paid the man his handsome fee and started on foot. The architecture on Magia was magical, of course, and we occasionally had to wait for one of the bridges to change so we could cross the way we desired to go.