Severella

I did it! I got into Hogwarts! I can't believe it, they're letting me stay! I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. There are four of them, the founders of the school, and each is very different from the rest, but they are all terrifying. Professor Slytherin seems to be particularly cunning as he saw right through me straight away. Let me explain.

            When I first got to the castle by portkey, I nearly turned back. It was grander than I knew could even be possible. With the druids I grew used to sleeping under the stars or in makeshift huts, but now I'll be sleeping in a castle! On the front lawn the founders introduced themselves; Professors Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Helga Hufflepuff (who prefers to be addressed Madam Helga).

            We were taken into a room larger than three houses put together which they call the Great Hall and were made to sit at long tables. We had to sit far enough apart we could not cheat on the test we were given. It was long and my hand was cramping painfully by the time I finally finished. It covered everything from wand-lighting charms, to divinations, to how to properly maintain a cockatrice's scales. Most of it I had no clue about.

            After the written examination, we were called one at a time into the clocktower courtyard to demonstrate our current magical ability. They said it was to judge our current level of education. I was nervous at the thought of performing magic in front of these four seasoned witches and wizards with nothing to draw their attention away from me.

            When I was called, I began shaking on my way to stand before them. They were seated, but that did nothing to settle my nerves. Gryffindor asked my name and I told him; Merlin. He asked if I didn't have a last name which made me uncomfortable, but I told him I didn't have one that I claimed. He scowled and asked my age. I told him "eleven" as casually as I could, and he nodded. He started to continue, but Professor Slytherin spoke up. He said I was a liar which got the other three's attention. I knew I must be doomed then. They would certainly send me away if I was caught lying!

            Professor Gryffindor asked what he meant and Slytherin turned his glinting eyes on me causing me to shudder. He told me to tell them the truth, and so I did. I told them I was nine and explained about my parentage and being raised by druids. I stressed that most of the muggles still wanted me dead for being demon-spawn, and that I could not return to the druids after leaving them; that was simply not their way.

            Then Professor Slytherin told me to show the others what I could do. and I knew he meant my ability to change my appearance. I was shocked. How could he possibly know I was a metamorphmagus? I recovered and quickly shifted my appearance until I looked to be a shorter version of Slytherin himself. It wasn't perfect, but I was pleased that he seemed impressed with the likeness.

            Professor Ravenclaw had a firm look on her face and told Slytherin that I was too young and a liar. They shouldn't allow a liar to enter. Slytherin defended me by saying I am an ambitious young man of good breeding and that my skill with metamorphmagery is impressive for one so young. Ravenclaw started to protest about the lying thing again, but Gryffindor brushed aside her concerns by saying that all young men will tell lies if they have something set in their sights.

            That's when Professor Slytherin suggested they see what I could do with my wand. Then all eyes were on me. I looked around the courtyard at the plants growing here and there and decided they were my best chance at impressing them. I had learned much about nature and plants growing up. I cast engorgio on several flowers to make them double in size. On others I sent out charms to turn each petal a different color. With a sweep of my arm the bushes rustled and shook until their leaves fell off and grew in again, brighter and heathier than before with small black berries on each stem. Last, I watered all the plants with aguamenti which caused a small rainbow to form over the courtyard. It wasn't the most exciting display of magic, but when I turned back to the professors, I could see they were reconsidering me.