The Assignment

"Guardian Petrov, this isn't a good idea,"

"You know it will be best for her if she understands what it's like to guard someone that's she's not bonded with."

"You don't understand, she doesn't like him. At all. The only reason she puts up with him is because he makes Vasilisa happy," Alberta thought it was best for Rose to be assigned to someone other than Lissa for the end of year trails. I clearly disagree, but can see where she's coming from. Over the past couple months I've come to love Lissa. Not in a romantic way, just in a way that makes me want to protect her at all costs.

As if predicting my train of thought Alberta said, "I know you want them together, but I also know that you want to give the princess the best protection she can get. Let Rose guard the Ozera boy for trials just to give her an idea of what it will really be like."

"If you want her to know what it's really like then put them together," I suggested even though I was clearly sold on the idea of Rose guarding Christian.

"Belikov! Give me a break!" She laughed off my last attempt. "So, it's settled. Hathaway is guarding Christian Ozera for finals."

Alberta handed me all of Christian's information to put into Rose's file. When all of the other guardians left the room she leaned against the table next to me,"You know it's for the best."

"Yes, I'd do anything for Lissa and if this is what it takes then I'm all for it."

"Belikov, we have an even bigger problem. you know that don't you?" Was she talking about me and Rose? The glint in her tired eyes said yes.

I was expecting a lecture, to be reported to headmistress Kirova, anything but a pat on the shoulder and a nod, followed by a sigh and an exasperated laugh.

"How do you think Hathaway is going to react to the news?" she smiled again and shook her head.

I laughed,"Hopefuly she can hold her tongue long enough to let us finish assigning the rest of the novices."

Now she laughed,"Hathaway? Hold her tongue? Yeah right! Anyways, I'll go round up the rest of the guardians, you go alert the dorm staff."

"Good luck with Rose, Alberta." I smirked while imagining the tantrum awaiting her in the next few minutes.

"Oh, don't worry about me. You'll be there too, Belikov," my smirk dropped as she walked away chuckling.

The assembly room was completely filled with novices eager to get there moroi assignment for the field trial. The moroi looked both scared and displeased at the idea of having other wild teenagers guarding their lives. True, they weren't in any real danger, but being at the mercy of a highly trained and experienced guardian had to be frightening.

The assignments were a blur until I saw who's name was next on the list.

"Rose Hathaway." I handed her the file containing Christian's information. she walked away with such confidence that she got Lissa.

Of course, that confidence shattered as soon as she opened her file. She nearly dropped it as she read Christians name. She stood in the corner of the room until the last novice and moroi were paired.

"What the hell is this!" I turned around, internally bracing myself for Rose's wrath.

"That," I pointed to the file in her hand, "is your assignment."

"Obviously not! I'm not going to be Christian's guardian so why pretend?"

It's as if Alberta could sense a full blown argument approaching because she suddenly stepped in. "Hathaway, you are speaking out of turn. You have been assigned Christian Ozera and that is who you will guard. This is a test for both you and Lissa so I suggest you take it very seriously," she fixed Rose with a icy glare and walked away.

"If looks could kill," I mumble to myself.

~~~

Okay little author's note. This is my first fanfic ever and I'm not sure how well this is going so let me know? You can give me ideas because some of this is hard to write. So sorry if the story is boring and I know this chapter is short but I couldn't think of anything else to write. Comment or like or whatever you do on her. :)