Miguel - The Angelists

The crucifix bumped on my chest as I moved out of the shade of the trees and into the sunny clearing. The hymn disintegrated into gasps and exclamations of joy as the group saw my wings, half-open behind me.

The minister threw his head back and arms to the sky. "Thank you, O Lord, for hearing our voices this day, and sending us an Innocent. Grant us the strength to complete the tasks You have set for us."

I paused, suddenly feeling naked. Still, I knew I had to trust in God and face whatever challenge he sent to me.

"Greetings, O Angel," the minister said, dropping his arms and falling to his knees, exultation on his face. The rest of his congregation quickly copied, some throwing themselves completely flat on the ground.

I felt awkward and my wings twitched, folding tightly to my back, like a pair of arms crossing defensively. I didn't think I was a real angel — there was too much sin in my soul.

But there had to be a reason why I was starting to look like one, and maybe this minister knew what it was.

Realising I still hadn't said anything, I began to panic. Before I could put any words together, the leader rose and opened his hands wide, gesturing to the people gathered around him.

"O Angel, I am Reverend Carter, and this is just a small delegation from my church. We saw the signs in the sky, and came seeking your guidance and your heavenly message. With the arrival of the Lord's Angels on Earth, we have shunned all modern evils and have renamed our family of faithful in your honour."

A woman eagerly leaped up beside him. "The Angelists seek only to serve the Lord and his holy messengers!"

The rest of the Angelists added their fervent cries and nods.

The anxiety in my chest began to ease, and hope spread through my blood. My wings flexed in response, and the Angelists cried out in wonder as they saw my feathers move. None of them would look me in the eye, but they continually edged closer and closer.

Then, through the waving and supplicating arms of the main group, I saw a girl about my own age, hanging back. Her stillness marked her out, her blonde hair drifting slightly in the wind. With none of the group's enthusiasm, she watched almost warily, as if she was waiting for something.

Her resistance affected me, and I instinctively stepped back instead of forward as the Reverend approached.

"O Angel, are you all alone on the Earth?"

Refusing to lie, I gently shook my head, still wondering what to say. I half-feared that if I opened my mouth, I'd do or say something that was distinctly non-angelic, and I'd lose their respect as well as their help.

"Does the Brown Angel, Tyler, walk with you upon the Earth?"

I struggled to find an appropriate response. Behind me, Tyler hissed a warning only I could hear.

"I have walked with Tyler," I said, eventually.

The Reverend took another step forward. He was almost within handshaking distance. "And has the Lord appointed you with your heavenly mission?"

"The Lord has not yet told us what our spiritual mission is," I confessed. "I heard your prayers and hoped you might be able to guide me."

The crowding Angelists were still maintaining a respectful distance but only just. As I spoke, they dissolved into excited whispers and longing sighs, crossing themselves and clasping their hands in prayer.

"Of course, O Angel!" The Reverend raised his hands high, his voice rising in joy. "O Lord, I see now! You have sent us Your newly-fledged Angels so that we may protect them as they grow and learn! The honour and faith You have shown us will not be wasted, for we are Your most devoted and humble servants!"

The Angelists around him added their fervent thanks and pious cries as he held out his hand to me. "Come with us, O Angel, so that we may protect you in the sanctuary of our humble church."

Automatically, I felt myself stepping forward to accept his hand. I heard a muffled curse, and then rapid light footsteps in the grass behind me. The Angelists shrieked in surprise as they saw another 'angel' appear apparently from nowhere and grab my arm.

"That's a lovely offer, thanks, but we have our own sanctuary nearby," Tyler said, his fingers digging into my bicep.

"O Angel, your concern is fair and warranted, but you must come with us," the Reverend pleaded, still holding out his hands in supplication. "It's not safe out here. We are not the only ones who have been searching for you."

"How do we know it isn't a trap?" Tyler demanded, beginning to pull on my arm. "Anyone can say fancy words and pretend they're truly faithful."

I knew he was right, but I had a strong feeling that he was also wrong. The Angelists were not here to harm us. They genuinely wanted to help. I could learn so much about being faithful from them. Maybe this was God's will.

But if I went with them, I wasn't sure Tyler would come with me. And if there was one thing I was absolutely certain about, it was the fact that Tyler and I had to stick together. It was Abuelita's dying wish, and something I knew deep in my gut to be true.

"You need to prove your devotion to God," I heard myself saying, and both the Reverend and Tyler looked at me, surprised. "We can only trust true servants of the Lord."

"You are indeed wise, O Angel," the Reverend said respectfully, clasping his hands in front of him and bowing slightly. "But how can we, humble men and women of the Earth, prove ourselves to you?"

"That is the first test," Tyler said, quickly. "If we told you how, it would be too easy."

The Reverend nodded. "We accept the test, and pray we will not be found wanting. We shall return ... say, tomorrow?"

"I will be ..." I began, but Tyler quickly spoke over the top of me.

"We might not be here, but God will be watching and will let us know. Then we'll find you when ... uh ... the time is right."

"Of course, O Angels." The Reverend bowed again, then turned to his flock. "O devoted Angelists of the Lord, let us pray for the strength to complete our first task."

Eagerly, the Angelists huddled again and lifted their hands and voices in prayer.

"Come on, Miguel, before they change their minds and decide they really want two pet angels as guard dogs for their church," Tyler muttered, trying to force me to move.

But now I was equally as strong as him, and I resisted just for a few more seconds, gazing around at the worshippers. I hadn't seen such devotion even in Abuelita's church. Even the blonde girl was kneeling with the others, her loose hair hiding her face. "What's the hurry, Tyler?"

"Miguel, if they're the real deal, they'll be back tomorrow, so you don't have to hang around now." Tyler let go of my arm and took a few steps toward the trees under the noise of the Angelists' new hymn. "Come on, last chance, or I'm leaving without you."

Sighing deeply, I turned away, and reluctantly followed him through the long grass.

"Wait!" said a new voice, in a strong British accent.

At the edge of the trees, Ty and I instinctively paused to look back.

The blonde girl stood up.

Holding our gaze, she took a deep breath and slipped off her zip-up hoodie.

Then she opened her golden wings.