10

Christmas Eve was a blast. Adam had annoyed Chance throughout the entire morning, still high on the sass thanks to the painkillers he took with meticulous regularity every hour. 

"I have the best idea!" he had declared, bursting into Chance's office at quarter past six.
"Adam, what the hell. You are on sick leave, why don't you sleep?"
Adam shrugged. "Not tired. And, I have the best idea!"
"Shoot."
"We should do the show tonight together. Like, all five of us. To celebrate Christmas, and, well, us."
"You do recall that we drew up an emergency schedule yesterday because you sprained your ankle and can't walk?"
Chance was quiet for a few minutes. He seemed to rethink what he had just said.
"...How did you get here?"
Adam's grin got wider. "I deep-froze my ankle."
Chance paused for a moment. "You did not."
"Yes I did."
For a moment he stared at his friend incredulously. Then, he decided that it was too early to deal with this insane version of Adam, and left to get himself a coffee. He had an entire, blessed thirty minutes of peace before his friend found him once more.

By the time the late morning shift rolled around, Chance had given in to Adam's ridiculous pestering. In exchange, he had banned him from performing any more shows until New Year's Eve and made him promise to dial it down on the painkillers. Adam was willing to make that deal. Despite all the fun, he found it slightly creepy how the drugs affected him. Instead, he started to gently infuse his right arm with icy coldness and tried to move it as little as possible. The result was bearable, and he started to feel more like himself again. Still, he stuck with his idea and refused to be benched for the Christmas Eve performance.

It was an amazing night. The golden lights had never shone brighter than now that they were standing in the spotlight all together. Sharing the stage with Austin was even better than listening to him sing. Falling into step beside each other felt as natural as if they'd done nothing else all their lives, five voices ringing out in perfect harmony, and he felt overwhelmed by gratefulness and joy as all of them put the arms around each other's shoulders and bowed to a frantically clapping audience. In that instant, his mind went back to the old picture in Chance's office, and he whispered happily to himself "I guess it's time for another picture now."

Later, after everybody had left for their quarters, Adam invited Austin up to "his" deck. The sky above them stretched in infinite blackness and was dotted with stars that shone out brightly in the cold night. The silence was welcome after the festive buzz of the evening. For a long time, they just stood there at the railing, side by side, and watched the endlessness of the sky and the sea and the small clouds their breath was leaving in the air before the breeze dispersed them. Tonight, Adam decided, wasn't the time for glittering ice magic, tonight was time to be spent with a friend.
"Beautiful, isn't it, up here," he murmured.
Austin nodded. "I've never seen so many stars before."
"It's the sea. There are no city lights, nothing to distract from them."
Austin nodded again. Adam put his good arm around the younger man's back and they continued watching the night sky in silence.