Chapter 1 - One Musician to Another

Chapter 1 – One Musician to Another

I smiled as I breathed in the cool air, sweetened by the mornings rain, as I strolled down a pretty country town road. Quaint houses and shops covered in creeping vines either side of me, and the occasional old fashioned pub or two.

I stopped outside a cute little bakery, smiling when the shop attendant waved to me when he saw me looking through the window. “Mmm…” I bit my lip and giggled quietly. “I could so live here…”

I waved back to the shop attendant and continued along the street, enjoying not being rushed up to with flashing cameras held by men who threw wild accusations at me.  No one knew me here…well…if they did, that kept it to themselves and left me alone…it was nice. Quiet. Peaceful…

Or, at least until I rounded a corner and walked into a rather shocked gentleman, our lips connecting in an accidental kiss as we collided; both of us jumping apart and offering our apologies so fast our words jumbled together.

“I am so, so sorry, sir…” I blushed as I looked up at the man, with his dark wavy hair and ice blue eyes.

“No, no, my fault…” he laughed nervously as he ran a hand through his hair. “I should’ve been watching where I was going…instead of my feet…”

“Same…” I admitted with a shy smile. “I’m still sorry for walking into you…”

A sly smile tiptoed across his face as he looked at me. “As am I…”

“So…” I trailed off, my mind travelling back to the accidental kiss…it had been kind of…perfect… ew, no, Shan, that’s wrong…or is it?

“So, what’s got the one and only Shan-Leigh, walking around Douglas, County Cork, in Ireland?” He smirked down at me as a light breeze ruffled through our hair.

“You…you know who I am?!” I asked, bewildered.

“Yes.” He smirked slyly, a light-hearted chuckle vibrating in the air around us. “Why?”

I frowned. “I didn’t think anyone knew who I was here…”

“Australia’s not so far from our minds as you might think.” He half-frowned half-smiled, nodding once.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I laughed softly, blushing when I saw the look he gave me. “Well, it was lovely to meet you Cillian…and…sorry, again, for walking into you like that…”

“No, no, my fault.” He smiled warmly, both of us almost going to say something, then proceeding to keep going our own way…until he spoke again. “You’re not…sticking around for a while…are you?” he asked as I turned back to him, his Irish lilt making me smile again.

“I might be…” I smirked a little, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. “Why?”

“Well, if you’re not going anywhere,” he smirked back. “Would you let me buy you a drink some time?” I felt my cheeks flush and I smiled shyly, running a hand through my hair. He pointed over his shoulder as he continued. “There’s a local band playing tonight at the pub down the road if you’re interested.” He smirked as if he knew something I didn’t. “I hear they’re mighty good.”

“Oh, really?” I asked, my smile confused.

“Oh, yeah.” He nodded, feigning seriousness. “It the-”

“No! don’t tell me!” I grinned as I held up my hands to hush him. He smiled at me oddly. “If I happen to walk into the right pub, at the right time, then we’ll know we were meant to meet.” I smiled timidly as I began backing away. “And if not…then that will have been the most perfect accidental kiss shared by two strangers in the whole of history.”

“Don’t you at least want to know my last name?” he called after me as I walked quickly up the hill.

I turned, walking backwards as I called back to him. “You got a twin brother?”

“No…” he laughed a sweet, high-pitched laugh.

“Then tell me tonight…” I bit my lower lip and smiled brightly at him. “When I find you!”

“Only if I don’t find you first!” he laughed as I continued over the hill.

I giggled softly to myself, a blush creeping over my cheeks as I checked which street I was on. My sister had said I would meet a guy someday that I liked as soon as looked at…but I never thought it would be in Ireland…

***

I bit my lip nervously as I walked into East Village Pub that evening. Had I actually picked the right pub? A beautiful, lilting Irish voice drifted over the pub’s patrons for a little whilst I looked around. I didn’t see him anywhere. With a sad sigh, I turned around, intending to go back to the bar for a drink…and then I looked at the small stage where the band was set up. Sitting on a stool, holding a guitar…was the man I’d bumped into earlier…smiling at me.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is our last song tonight…because there’s a beautiful Australian girl over there I have to buy a drink for.” He said into the microphone, and i blushed as the others in the crowd chuckled and looked around curiously for who he was talking about. “This song isn’t one of ours, but I think it fits the scene…it’s called Galway Girl.”

I laughed as he stood and began to play, singing as he jumped off the stage and made his way through the small crowd before him…to me.

“Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl”

I laughed as he reached me, getting everyone around me to sing as I was boxed in so I couldn’t escape.

“We were halfway there when the rain came down
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
And she asked me up to her flat downtown
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl
And I lost my heart to a Galway girl.”

I laughed as I looked up at him. “You’re right,” I smirked. “They are good.”

“From one musician to another!” he laughed with me. I blushed when he dipped his head down and let his nose brush against mine as he sang the final part of the song, laughing happily when I sang along with him and everyone else.

“When I woke up I was all alone
With a broken heart and a ticket home
And I ask you now, tell me what would you do
If her hair was black and her eyes were blue
I've travelled around I've been all over this world
Boys I ain't never seen nothin' like a Galway girl…”

As he finished sing, the band kept playing, and I frowned. But not for long. He lifted the guitar up and slipped the strap over his head, passing it to someone as he snaked one arm about my waist and pulled me to him; leaning down and pressing his lips against mine in a sweet, but passionate, kiss. As cheers and wolf-whistles erupted from the crowd, we broke apart; breathless and smiling like school children.

“So…about that drink…” he smirked down at me as his hands rested against my waist.

I laughed and slipped my fingers around his tie, tugging it lightly so that it slid through my fingers. “I thought you’d never ask…”