Chapter One

Nicoli quietly crept through the hallways, careful not to make a sound. 

He was just hungry enough to creep out of bed. 

{Now, the tricky part is not getting caught.}  He had tried this many time before, and every time he has failed.

He honestly thought one meal a day was not enough to satisfy anyone but a baby. But, it wasn't his rules, it was the council's rules. A whole book of the rules for his town. About the exact amount of food you can eat, what you must wear, your exact schedule every day of the week. Nicoli wished he could live his own life, you know, with out if the rules and work.

He creeped slowly across the wood floor, clutching the tiles so he wouldn't fall. The kitchen was only a few feet away, and he knew he could do it no longer. He gave up his grip and fell to the ceiling, clutching his leg in pain. He sat up, looking around at the confusing world around him. Everything was all mixed up, and it sure gave him a headache. 

"Nicoli Ashton Dixon!" His mother screeched through the night. "Have you been trying to sneak food again?" 

Nick was still in shock from his awkward fall. {Why do the grip shoes disable at night anyway?}

His mother just sighed. "Honey, I know you're hungry, but you know our scheduled eating times. We can't just eat when we want, otherwise we will become extremely of course, and if the council found out, well they would you know, banish you." 

{Well, if I someday starve to death, I'll blame you, mom. And when you're hungry enough, I won't give you food, and you'll know how it feels!} 

"Alright Nikki, let's get you back to bed. His mother sighed. She reached her hands out to him, and he took them as she pulled him back up and carried him back to his bed." 

"Nick's stomach still growled in pain, but he did not want to get banished, so he obeyed his mother's orders and fell back to sleep.