Chapter 11: When having your first kiss

My heart seized in my chest, beating faster than I'd ever experienced, trying to think of something that would make the disappointed look on Isaac's face go away.

"Isaac it's honestly not what it looks like!" I blurted out anxiously.

"Really?" He responded, looking warily between Caleb and I.

"I'll just go now." Caleb said, stalking off in what looked like anger. I was too preoccupied with saving whatever was going on between myself and Isaac to attend to his bruised ego so I just nodded.

"Mavis what's going on?" Isaac asked once we were alone, looking every bit as puzzled as I felt. To be honest, I didn't quite know how to reply to his question.

What was going on? Not just with Caleb, but with me. In the span of seven months, I'd moved to an entirely different continent, been promoted to the top of a social hierarchy, developed feelings with the closest male friend I had, and managed to have a massive crush on the most popular guy I knew. It was madness.

"Mavis?" Isaac called, a soft reminder that I actually had not replied to his question.

"Isaac, I'm sorry. I know what you walked in on looked suspicious." I replied, feeling guilty. Technically, Isaac did not have any right to demand an explanation from her, because they weren't in a relationship. But then again in Canada she had allowed technicalities govern as opposed to matters of the heart, and look where it had led her; alone and invisible.

It was sad, but true. She hadn't let herself develop meaningful relationships in the past due to her unreasonable fear of relationships, and it ended up leaving her with little to call her own. Now, she didn't want to bother with technicalities, because she had a feeling she really wanted to keep this particular person around for a while.

"Did you guys kiss or something? I mean, I know I don't have a right to ask, but I'd really like to know if there's something going on between the both of you, just so I don't look like an idiot because I really like you." Isaac said, stealing the breath from my lungs.

"Y-you really like me?" I reiterated stupidly.

He looked shy for a second before nodding, "Yes, I do. But if you're already with Caleb I won't push it."

"I like you too, I really do. And no there's nothing going on with me and Caleb." I said hastily, trying to preserve the moment. On the outside I looked happy for sure, but that was barely scratching the surface, considering the fact that my heart was doing palpitations with each word that came out Isaac's mouth.

As though the war in my chest wasn't enough, he bestowed me with a heart stopping grin that sent shivers down my spine, fixing his eyes on me. "You do?"

"I do."

Gently, he leaned into me, his eyes boring into mine with an intensity I couldn't quite place, yet knew it was magic. The world went on outside the balcony, and the faint sounds of cheering and music assured me that our little world was between just the two of us, no one else would interrupt.

Although I never imagined my first kiss would happen in someone else's house in a party, in a foreign country, I couldn't help feeling it was familiar and right. And when Isaac's lips touched mine in the faintest greeting, I knew I was home.

My brain shut down for a whole second, merely basking in the intimacy of everything, and I heard myself sigh with relief. Sparks of electricity danced up my spine, pooling in my belly and ordering my hands around his neck. It was definitely meant to be.

Our lips moved in synchrony, although mine had no practice, and I was faintly aware of the world floating away, as it should've. It was just me, Isaac, and the warmth of our first kiss.