Chapter Eleven: Confrontation

Remi's eyes widened immediately as she shot up from her desk. "Ronald..." her voice trailed off as tears began to well up in her eyes, "Is that really you?"

"It's really me," he smiled.

Remi shook her head, tears flowing out of her eyes and a smile on her lips. Without another word, she ran forward, wrapping her arms around Ronald and crying into his shoulder. "Welcome home, little brother," she whispered, tightening her grip around him. It was obvious that he was caught off-guard by the sudden embrace, but once he had recollected himself, he leaned into her hug. Eventually, Remi released from the hug, recomposing herself. "So, Ronald," she started, chuckling under her breath, "how have you been?"

"Oh, y'know," he started with a smirk, "technically, I'm s'posed to be dead. How about you? You've been dead for nineteen years."

Remi gasped, mocking hurt as she backed away from him. She laughed a bit, shaking her head. "Has it really been that long? Man, you've really grown up," she commented, tsking under her breath. She walked up closer to him, holding his face in her hands. She smiled, closing her eyes and resting her head on his shoulder. "Oh, how I would have loved to watch you grow up."

"Well why didn't you?" Ronald asked. He was oblivious, questioning something that he most likely didn't want to know about.

Remi stepped back, gritting her teeth. She walked back to her desk and sat on it, looking down at the floor. "I just couldn't stay. I had my reasons for... well, you know. Bri here can tell you, I'm not very comfortable telling the story. Let's just leave it at that, okay?" she asked, looking back up to Ronald.

"Okay," he said, nodding slightly. He looked over to me with wide eyes and mouthed, 'What does she mean?' and in response, I mouthed back, 'I'll explain later', even though I had no intentions of actually going through with that. Telling him what really happened to Remi would tear him apart.

"Thanks for understanding," Remi said, hopping down from her desk. She walked back over to Ronald, her shoes clicking against the floor with every step. She wrapped and arm around his neck, pulling him in close to her and ruffling his hair. "I'm just glad you're here now."

"Yes, we're all very glad to have Mister Knox in our Reaper training program. Now, Miss Knox, would you please stop harassing our trainees?" I hear from behind. The three of us turned around to find William standing in the open doorway. He pushed up his glasses as he walked inside, sighing slightly. "Of course I'd find you here," he turned to me, giving me the up and down overview, "Miss Lynch, you are aware that you've already got your life on the line. Step out of line and it may cost you your life."

"What?" Remi asked, "You can't be serious, William. Killing a kid?!" she asked, throwing her arms out and gesturing towards me, "That's ridiculous! What's she ever done to deserve something like-"

"That's enough, Miss Knox," he spat, whipping around to face her, "I would kindly appreciate it if you would not butt into others people's business. Now, for you two," he stated, grabbing Ronald by his collar and dragging him over to me, "the tour of facilities has already concluded, and as far as I am aware, both of you missed the majority of it. Now, Mister Knox, since you are indeed a new recruit, you will be making up the tour tomorrow afternoon. As for you, Miss Lynch, I am aware that your current caretaker has already gone over all the facilities and explained each one of them to you. Am I correct?"

"You are, sir," I answered with a nod.

"Wonderful," William stated. He turned back to Remi, shaking his head. "My apologies for interrupting your reunion with your young sibling. I take it that he can stay with you tonight, correct?"

"I can make some room for him," Remi said with a smiling nod.

"Alright, then. It's becoming late, you two," he said, pointing to Remi and Ronald, "should be on your way back to your apartment soon. As for Miss Lynch and I, we'll be making our leave for her home, as I am accompanying her on the way. Good day to you two," he stated as he exited the room. He gestured for me to follow him out. I was confused by the fact that he would be the one taking me home, but I knew better than to deny or question William. Without a goodbye or even another room, I followed William out of Remi's office.