F O U R

The next morning was rough, I didn't want to go to school. I thought about skipping, but I had told Allen I'd be at the fourth period, so reluctantly, I got up.

The first part of the day was full of unhappy chatter. There was talk about the project. Many people were saying that it was pointless and that it wouldn't stop the bullying.

I wanted to shake them and tell them that THEY could stop the bullying. If they used their voice and stood up for others, they wouldn't have to do the project. If they thought about anything besides themselves, hen none of this would have happened.

On my way to the fourth period, talk was still going around.

"If anything it's going to make the bullying worse." I stop quick and spin around to see who said that.
It was Maddie Sinclair, a watcher.

"At least they're trying," I say.

She turns around and looks at me.
"Yeah but they're doing it wrong. This will never work."

"What would work best would be if people who just watched bullying happen actually spoke up. But that's never going to happen because people are too selfish."

She scoffs, "It wasn't my problem to deal with."

"That sounds like the words of someone who only thinks of themselves."

"Look, just because you couldn't save your friend doesn't mean that you can take it out on others."

"I could have used some help saving him, but it was only me. I have a right to take it out on others who could have done something, or at least tried."

She scoffs a bit more at me, but I've heard enough. I spin on my heels and walk to class. I wish I never came today. I'm so fucking tired of all of this. I'm so tired of trying to reason with the ignorant.

I sit down in the back of the room and wait for Allen. I watch everyone find their seats, but Allen's not amongst them.

I swear if this kid didn't come today.

The bell rings and the teacher begins class and I wait longer. My eyes glued to the door, but no one comes.

After half an hour I pack my things, and without giving the teacher a word, I head out the door. I was honestly annoyed. He told me to come and I did, and then for whatever reason, he left me hanging.

I find my way to the library and sneak through the doors as quietly as I can. Making sure no one is around I make a dash for my usual seat.

I can't believe he asked me to come and then didn't show up. The whole day has been pretty shit, and I'd much rather have stayed at home.

I turn my focus to the window and stare off. I think about my conversation with Maddie. It infuriates me. It's not like I was being hostile. Then again people don't like to be called out on their faults.

I had tried to save James. Yes, I should have tried harder and been there for him more, but at least I made an effort. James' death was my fault too, and I know that.

I hear the library door open and I sink in my seat a bit.

"I am so sorry."

I look up to see Allen who looks genuinely apologetic. I roll my eyes at him.

"It's whatever."

"I saw you walking out of fourth."

I look up at him, tired.

"Allen, I've had a really shit day." I rub my temples.

"What happened?" he asked.

I ignore his question, "why'd you want me to go to fourth anyway?"