Chapter 3: The Transformation

I laid on my bedroom floor anxiously, panting after doing my sit ups.  I know it's supposed to be coming today.  My online orders.  My transformation will start today.  I'm keeping this from Auntie Platinum.  I don't know how she will react so it's best not to tell her until she begins to notice a difference.  Then the door bell rang.  In seconds I was off my bedroom floor and down the stairs to answer the door.  

"Who is it?!"  I call. 

"Amazon delivery!"  The post man calls out.  I excitedly answer the door and there he is with my six packages.   I sign my signature and thank him before closing the door.

Rushing back upstairs, I ripped the cardboard off of all six boxes and there they are.  My Luxxe white glutathione skin lightening pills, my papaya skin lightening soap, my Alpha Arbutin flakes for my eyes,  my Arbutin and Kojic acid full body cream, my vitamin c and Alpha Arbutin face moisturiser and finally a cheap months supply of SPF 50 sunscreen.  My skin is around Lupita Nyongo's shade so if I want to go really light safely, I'll have the best results bleaching inside and out with both pills and creams.  I need to have a shower since I'm smelling of bio from my morning work out.  With that, I grabbed the new, unopened papaya skin lightening soap and followed the instructions.   You have to leave it to sink into your skin for 5 minutes after smothering it absolutely everywhere including carefully around your eyes.  It begun to tingle the tiniest bit everywhere but there's no pain.  After the five minutes were over, I washed it off.  Once I got out of the shower, it was time to try out my new creams.  After trying out my new creams it was time to take my new pills. 

I've carefully read the instructions and I know I won't see results overnight, not even in the first week.  I have to be patient.  In the mean time, it's time to peg my nose, prepare those eye drops and get me some of that good hair.  Apparently the Alpha Arbutin eye drops work, I mean, everybody has blue eyes hidden under a thin layer of pigment in the iris.   Lots of melanin result in brown eyes, little melanin results in blue.  If I want lighter eyes, all I need to do is remove the melanin and there's already lasers that can do this.   I don't see how Alpha Arbutin which is professional in removing melanin in the skin wouldn't work in the iris.  Mixing normal eye drops into a small empty eyedropper bottle then adding some Arbutin flakes, I took a deep breath as a watched the flakes dissolve.  "I hope this works."  I thought while dropping 3 drops into each eye.  

The rest of that day, I went out with some friends.  We went to the cinema then went to a restaurant.  I need to be patient and not so hasty other wise it will seem longer.   I just did with life that I normally do, trying not to think about it too much.  I went to work, worked out and did what I normally did.  The more I looked in the mirror, the less I saw a difference until one day, the next week.  

"Omolara?  Is it just me or has your skin gotten lighter?"  She asked.  That confirms it.  It's working.  

"Maybe."  I answer.  

"You're bleaching?"  She asked slightly surprised.  I nod.  She sighed.  "I don't blame you.  This world."  She turned and went out the door.  I can't tell if she's disappointed or understanding.  

My 20th birthday is right around the corner, some of the relatives I've cut off are asking me what I want for my birthday.  I asked my relatives for curly type 3 textured bundles for my next weave.  I don't know why those relatives are bothering to buy me anything for my birthday.  Maybe they want to worm there way back into my life.  Either way, they're giving me stuff so I'll except it for now.  I had all my friends and some of my work colleges  round for my birthday including those relatives who have seemed to have abandon their colourist ways.  I hope they have because if it's a facade, there asses are going right back out that door.   They were okay the entire time and treated me openly which was deeply confusing.