𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄: the vanishing of will byers

"SOMETHING IS COMING."

Michael Wheeler loomed over the game board, its edges patterned with tears in the cardboard, the ink on its face faded and beginning to wear away due to its overuse.

"Something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will Byers, a small, bow cut wearing boy asks, scooting his chair in closer, a childlike intensity quivering in his voice.

"What if it's the Demogorgon? Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon," Dustin Henderson sighs, sliding his hands off of the dinky table and into his lap, his eyes casting themselves downwards in feigned disappointment.

"It's not the Demogorgon!" Lucas Sinclair objected, his dark eyebrows raised stubbornly as his brown eyes flickered from Dustin to the rest of his friends.

"Guys! Shut up and let Mike finish!" Cindy Harrington interjected between the two boys, waving her hands in the air as if she was summoning a raging courthouse back into focus.

The cramped basement fell silent, with the exception of a few giggles erupting from Dustin and Lucas, and all eyes were once again concentrated on Mike.

"Wait a minute," The ebony-haired boy spoke, his voice soft as he tugged his friend's curiosity further.

"Did you hear that? That...that sound? Boom...boom...Boom!"

Slamming his hands on the table, Mike masked an amused smile as each of his four friends jumped in surprise.

"That didn't come from the troglodytes. No, that...that came from something else."

Cindy let her eyes scan across the table, watching the Wheeler boy as he searched for something behind his player's handbook, which he had turned into a barrier, preventing the party from seeing what he was up to.

"The Demogorgon!" Mike announced, slamming the two-headed game piece onto the game board violently.

Low groans bubbled from the group of children, each of them pushing their chairs back as they prepared themselves for what came next.

"We're in deep shit," Dustin declared from beside Cindy, who nodded dolefully.

"Will your action!" Mike proclaimed, his gaze turning to Will suddenly.