𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄: one month later

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄: one month later

CINDY HARRINGTON CHEERED excitedly, wrapping her arms around Will, jumping up and down as their victory against the thessalhydra hazed their minds.

The two children joined Dustin and Lucas, who had begun to parade around the basement, partaking in their own victory dance, chanting happily.

"Lucas cuts off its seven heads," Mike shouted over his friends' chants, smiling widely as they celebrated, "and Dustin places them into his bag of holding."

Dustin lifted his backpack above his head victoriously, eliciting a soft giggle from Cindy as she sat back down in her chair next to Mike.

"You carry the heads out of the dungeon, victorious, and you present them to King Tristan. He thanks you for your bravery and service."

"Whoa," Dustin stopped his friend, frowning as he leaned over in his chair, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not it, is it?"

Mike shook his head quickly, glancing around at his disappointed friends. 

"No, there's a medal ceremony--"

"Oh, a medal ceremony?" Dustin bellowed, "What are you talking about?"

"Yeah, man," Lucas nodded, "The campaign was way too short."

"Yeah!" Will echoed, both he and Cindy nodding as their eyes met.

"It was ten hours!" Mike interjected, eyebrows furrowing as his eyes darted over each of his friends.

"But it doesn't make any sense."

"It makes sense!"

"Uh, no, what about the lost knight?"

"And the proud princess?" Cindy added, tilting her head as Mike's eyes landed on her.

"And those weird flowers in the cave?" 

Mike shook his head as he looked down at the game board. "I don't know, it's--"

The basement door opened at the top of the staircase, redirecting the party's attention in it's direction.

"Jeez," Jonathan emerged, jogging down the stairs, eyes skimming over each of the children, "what's that smell? Have you guys been playing games all day, or just farting?"

The group laughed, looking at each other with wide smiles.

"Oh, that's just Dustin," Lucas commented, smirking as he glanced over at the boy, "He farted."

Cindy laughed, gazing over at Jonathan, nodding her head slowly. "Definitely just Dustin's farting."

"Okay--" Dustin inserted himself, trying to silence his friends but failed as they continued to tease him.

"Dustin farted," Lucas began to chant, blowing raspberries in between his words.

"Very mature, Lucas," Dustin raised his eyebrows at the boy, playfully glaring at Cindy as she laughed, joining in on Lucas' teasing.

"Dustin farted," She sang, blowing a raspberry, leaning closer to the table, eyes locked onto Lucas' as the two laughed joyfully, clutching their stomachs tightly.

"Shut up," Dustin ordered, rolling his eyes.

"Will," Jonathan smiled, nodding his head towards his brother, indicating it was time for them to leave.

"Bye guys!" Will called to his friends, smiling widely at each of them as they shouted their goodbyes.

Dustin and Lucas grabbed their things, tugging their coats on and hauling themselves up the stairs, followed by Mike and Cindy.

They walked the two boys out, wishing them Merry Christmases as they biked away from the house.

Cindy watched as Mike walked through the foyer, making his way towards the living room.

She stopped, looking down at her hands before glancing back up.

"Mike?"

The boy turned around, stopping in his tracks as his eyes met hers. 

"Yeah?" Mike walked back to where she stood, eyes occasionally peering down to where she absentmindedly picked at her fingernails.

"I-I wanted to give you your present," Cindy stammered, looking up at him shyly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"But," His eyebrows furrowed, "I didn't get you anything--"

"--It's okay," Cindy shook her head quickly, smiling wider at his worried expression, "Just...close your eyes."

The boy's eyes snapped closed, fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.

She took a step closer to him, eyes darting over his face as she leaned closer to him.

Cindy pressed her lips softly onto his, long eyelashes fluttering closed, stifling a laugh as Mike jolted in shock.

She pulled away from him, beaming as he stared at her, eyes wide as a shy smile crept onto his lips.

Cindy's cheeks heated, a deep crimson blossoming onto her skin.

Tearing her eyes away from him, a wide smile plastered onto Cindy's face as they stared into each other's eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Mike."

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐄𝐃.