𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄: the weirdo on maple street

CINDY HARRINGTON'S ARMS were crossed over her chest as her wide eyes scanned over the frail girl in front of her, distraught as she sat in the unknown basement.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?"

The Harrington girl pushed a damp strand of dark chocolate hair behind her ear. She shivered harshly, the soaked clothes she wore drying at a painfully slow rate.

The girl sitting on the couch in front of her had nothing to say. Her eyes were fixed on the shaggy carpet of the basement, shoulders rising and falling quickly due to her heavy breathing.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asked from beside Cindy, who glared at him from the corner of her eye.

"Did you run away?" Lucas questioned the girl this time, watching as her eyes rose from the floor to bounce in each of their directions.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"Is that blood?" Lucas reached a hand towards the girl, attempting to touch the faded red stain that lingered on the neckline of the oversized t-shirt that clung to her skin damply.

Slapping at the boy's curious hand, Cindy stepped closer to the girl defensively.

"Would you guys quit it? You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas replied, eyes widening in Cindy's direction as the Harrington girl simply rolled her eyes.

When Cindy turned towards the shivering girl, sympathy cracked itself through her heart, blanketing every inch of her bones in heartbreak as she peered down at the broken soul in front of her.

Carefully, Cindy sat down next to the girl, cringing slightly as the girl scooted away from her in response.

"It's alright, I won't hurt you," The Harrington smiled gently, keeping her voice low and calm as the girl stared at her fearfully.

"I'm Cindy, Cindy Harrington," She stuck her hand out for the girl to shake, unfortunately failing as the girl simply glanced between her eyes and her outstretched hand.

"Oh, you shake," Cindy smiled shyly, gently lifting the girl's hand and slipping it into her own, moving it up and down in a shaking motion.

Peering down at their interlocked hands, a small set of numbers on the girl's wrist caught Cindy's attention, almost as if there had been a blinding spotlight beating down on them.