One Step Forward, Two Steps Back.

Waking up in this awful cot like I have done many mornings prior had never felt better.
Not because it was comfortable or warm, but because I could still feel the extreme butterflies in my stomach. Pooling in my chest and making my heart flutter along with them. 
It almost felt like the kiss that Squid and I shared was a dream, and I almost felt foolish for being so happy about it happening. It was like months of tension finally coming to a head. 

The little arguments, snippy comments, conversations, glances, small favors. It was all piling up into something I didn't really understand. Was it a crush, was it infatuation? Was it just because
I was the only girl at camp besides the Warden, and he just was kissing me because he missed girls in general. It was hard to tell with him. I'm sure it'd be hard to tell with any of these boys. 

I don't understand the feelings I'm feeling, really. I doubt Squid understands it either. But it felt good to be kissed by him.
And I only hoped that he didn't regret kissing me. I don't regret kissing him back. 
It felt right in that moment. 

It was dark out still. The speakers that blasted through the camp had yet to start up, which made me kind of angry at myself for waking up before it was even time. Every second of sleep I can get, I'll take it. 
I sat up in my cot and tried to get a look around the tent to see if I was the only one up. 
As far as I could tell, I was. Armpit was still snoring, but besides that it was dead quiet. 
I couldn't even hear crickets. I was coming to think that crickets just dry up around here. 
It certainly gets hot enough during the day. Or they crawled under rocks and into crevasses that the suns beams could not reach that were in the earths surface. 
I sat there waiting for what seemed like hours, waiting for that awful crackly recording of Reveille to blast through the speakers that resonated through the camp. 
Without fail, like every single morning, it finally blasted through. Resonating through every campers ears and forcing them to rip their eyes open and pry themselves out of bed to begin another day. 
D Tent's ritual was no different. We woke up, got dressed, ate our tortillas and honey and followed Mr.Sir or the "Doctor" to the digging site of the day.  

"Wake up, Pit, I know you can hear me man!" Magnet half whispered to Armpit, who was still snoring away. By now I could tell when he was faking it though and he definitely was. Every single morning Armpit fake snores just to keep everyone from talking to him, though it never worked so I wasn't sure why he even did it anymore. 
I scanned the room, like a hopeless puppy dog looking for its owner. Pathetic at best. 
Squid had his back turned to me, and most of the others, as he buttoned up his digging jumpsuit which he could tell apart from his relaxation jumpsuit, only from a small rip in it that he got on his second day at camp trying to get out of the hole he had dug. A story he had told me recently.

Dr.Pendanski poked his head into the tent "Is everybody decent?" Mumbles and grunts was all he got for an answer. "Good, follow me!" He chirped. He was always so happy to be awake, which I hated and I know everyone else in camp hated it too. 

We all shuffled and slugged our way out of the tent, sleep still in our systems as we went to line up to grab "breakfast" and our shovels.

I stood behind Caveman, who was just behind Squid, who was behind X-Ray. That's usually the order in the morning, so X-Ray can grab his special shovel that was shorter than the other shovels. No one questioned or argued against him. 
Tortillas and honey however were free for all and on a first come first serve basis. If you aren't up in time, or get to the "Library" soon enough, you often won't get any tortillas and honey. 
I grabbed my shovel and went over to the table where our breakfast was placed.
"Morning." I croaked to Squid who was grabbed his tortillas. Sleep still in my voice. 
He side-eyed me and walked away, no response. Hardly a glance. I felt my stomach drop, only because I knew he heard me and chose not to respond. Even if the kiss made things weird between us, we can literally move past it and be mature about it, right? We can be friends.
Never talk about the kiss or bring it up again. I just don't want to go back to how things were when I first got here. I've come too far with everyone, especially Squid for it to all be thrown back into square one.